My first Mac Experience/Battle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adlos, Nov 19, 2007.

1. adlos macrumors newbie

Well, if you don't remember, I posted a few days ago about me buying my very first mac this weekend. Well, I did. And I have to say that it was quite frustrating. Here's the whole story:

So, since I live way far from any place where I can buy a mac, I went to Mcallen, Texas. We got there at night in Saturday, and the first thing we did was to get to a Best Buy and buy the computer. "Fortunately", they had one Macbook Pro of 17' left so I was able to get it, and even bought the protection plan for 3 years. I noticed though, that it wasn't sealed, it was opened and re-sealed, but I figured that it was probably because they had to insert the Leopard DVD, so I didn't pay that much attention.

So, there I was, all happy and excited about my new Mac, like a kid with a new toy, but the minute we arrived at the hotel and I started my computer this weird noise started to come out of the speakers. It was kind of like a motorcycle sound, and of course nothing else was coming out of the speakers. I was really disappointed and sad; my very first mac and it didn't work.

So, the next day (yesterday) I got back to the store, talk to the Geek Squad and they tell me that they are out of stock for this model but that there's one in the next town (about an hour away from where we were at), and I said, OK, I'll go since they have put the one over there for me on hold and all. And so I did. We arrived to the Best Buy of the other town and again ,we headed to the Geek Squad. The guy there looked like if he was having a bad day, all angry and stuff. But still he was nice to us and served us well. So, he handed me the "new" Mac, and I opened it. It was, again, opened (Just the box , like the other one), but again I thought this was due to the Drop-in DVDs. Since it didn't presented the same problems as the one before, I assumed that everything was OK. So when I got back to the Hotel that night, I turned it on, I noticed it was kind of slow but I didn't pay that much attention to it. The first thing I noticed was that the OS was kinda old. Tiger 10.4.9 seems old to me, for a pre-installed. I tried to update it to Leopard but it took years and I wasn't able to do it. I even had to re-install Tiger so I could use it again. I was deeply disappointed by this point. My second Mac and again, it failed. I tried to install it 3 times before I gave up. I even updated all the way to 10.4.11 and then tried to go to Leopard but it wasn't possible.

So the next morning (today) I go to Best Buy again and again directed to the Geek Squad. They looked at me as if I was some kind of stupid that didn't know a bleep about computers, or at least it felt that way. I described the problem, and the guy went to get a new copy of Leopard for me. He gave me the Cd and I put it on, and it started correctly and all , but by the time it was installing Leopard (or so it seemed), the guy tells me that I cannot do that there because that's a service they sell so blah blah. I said OK and went to my car and keep the installing going but by the time I got to the car I discovered that the screen is not coming back. It just stayed turned off. I had to hard reboot and it didn't load nor the Cd or the HDD, and I thought to myself that it might be my fault or something so I decided to forget about it for a while and let it rest. After a few hours I went to CompUSA to get a case for the computer since neither of the Best Buys had any left. To my luck, at CompUSA there was an apple representative. I started to tell him what happened to me and my luck and a few moments later (since I had the computer in the car), he tells me to bring it in so he can take a look at it. He told me that the computer is damaged and that it was priorly used. He told me that it was one that was on display! He knew because he was the one that checked all the Mac's in the Best Buy of the other town, or so I understood. I mean I bought a displayed computer, like if it was new? Damn my luck. It made sense since the charger was different from the first computer I got. So it wasn't the new design but the old one.

So I went, again, to Best Buy, asked to speak to the manager and asked for my money back. They tried to give me another computer but they were still without any of 17' so they had no choice but to give me the money back.

After that I returned to CompUSA and I got a new, sealed, 17' Macbook Pro.
    I even bought the Apple Care, just in case.

I am not mad about how they treated me in Best Buy, they treated me Ok and I would say, almost respectfully (A guy talked to me with a bad attitude). What bothered me was that they sold me 2 computers, both damaged and, I would say, not entirely new. And this is not the first time that I have this kind of problem with BB, so it is kinda disappointed.

BUT, I got my 17' Macbook Pro, with Leopard of course. And so far I'm loving it. If I wouldn't had finals tomorrow I would spend all night discovering this awesome computer.

So that is my very first Mac Experience, and in a way, also my first battle. It feels like a battle because it was a lot of struggle to get it right. In my personal opinion, and experienced, I've learned not to trust that much in BB anymore. Last year they did something similar and well, let's just say that it is not the store for me.

...and to think that I almost come home with the 2nd Macbook...lucky that I'm stubborn.

Ps. I'm not bashing about Best Buy or praising CompUSA or less. I'm just telling my own experience, so do not think that Best Buy is the worst shop of all times and such... even though it feels like that to me.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I know you're trying to be mutual but from my side of things it looks like Best Buy really put it in your rear. Just so you know, its illegal to sell a display or returned model as a new model. It has to be declared and made upfront or they are committing a crime.

3. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

That just isn't cool!

I can't believe that a store would be so low as to sell you the display model for the same price as a brand new one. Most places that I know of, you can get the display model for a discount on the full price. Of course, even then I wouldn't buy it because display models are so hit/miss.

Personally, I'd be raising a bigger stink about that with BB, since what they're doing is just plain wrong and (according to a previous poster) illegal.

4. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

You realize that no place is too far away from the apple.com online store, right? ;)

5. Josheua macrumors regular

I have to give you credit. I will never purhcase anything from Best Buy. I believe their service is horrible. They ignore customers who aren't purchasing large items, sell used prodcuts as new (I have had a similar situation there), and do not properly support Apple products. When I purhcase my pro from a store, it will be from my local Apple store and no one else.

Congrats though on your Mac and I am glad it is working for you this time.

-Josh :apple:

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

eveytime ive been in best buy they have items on the shelf that are used, but they have a open item sticker stuck to them with a reduced price, so im not sure what you guys are talking about:confused: best buy is really good about that sorta thing

7. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

That is why I tend to thing that maybe Apple should crack down on vendors who are giving Apple a bad name - hence the reason I believe they need to accelerate their opening of Apple Stores to ensure that there is a consistant positive experience for all customers rather than it being a gamble.

From the moment you enter the store to the time you leave, it should be a pleasurable experience - and so pleasurable, you want to come back again on a regular basis to buy all 'value added gizmo's'.

8. Billy Bob macrumors regular

think*

The the way the rest of apple is run I find it hard to believe that anything about their stores would be a pleasurable experience

9. feyn-man macrumors regular

Talk to your lawyer. Maybe you will be rich.
    haha:)

10. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I cringe at the sight of the Apple station in my local BB......I am all for market penetration but Best Buy??....Really?....

11. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

What is so bad about the way Apple is run? compared to the stupid notion at Microsoft of 'musical chairs' - rotating staff every 18 months because of 'the gospel according of Jack Welch'?

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Wow, what a terrible experience.

That's what they say: buyer beware.

Good thing you returned the 3 yr protection plan..apple care is way better!!

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The only time i buy open models are when they are fully loaded with software....I had one with over 10K in software :)

14. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

15. anothermacaddic macrumors member

Never ever buy any electronics that are open for any reason, especially computers. Factory seals are there to ensure the customer they are getting the experience the manufacturer intended. I dont go to certain stores for that reason alone. This goes for software as well. I dont know who started the idea of lets put empty boxes on the shelves and then give the customer a cd from a bottom drawer but I tell you I will never buy that scratched up cd that some kid threw in that paper sleeve. Ever see that crap on eBay thats been "opened for testing purposes only"? Yup its the same bogus they pull in some retail stores. IDK about the BB in your town with the green stickers, it must be a pretty well managed store. I assure you they arent all like that. They are trying to move some of that returned or trashed merchandise. Save a nickel and stick it to some poor sap.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The lawyer will be rich, and the Best Buy will laugh at you.

You got your money back, which is all they had to do.

---

Though I did go to a CompUSA and they went to get and item handed it to the cashier to scan in and bag, turned out it was opened when I got home.

Took it back, and got another brand.

CompUSA: Does it work?

Me: Don't know, it was opened when I got home.

CompUSA: We can get you another one.

Me: The guy said it was the last one...

It isn't that the CompUSA is bad, it's that their loss prevention methods can be a pain. They must stay with the computer/other item until it gets to the register. So you get to tie up a salesman while you walk around the store with it in you cart or pick it up at the register.