My first Mac - iMac or Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bighand, Mar 11, 2010.

1. bighand macrumors newbie

Hi,

I guess this question has been made times and times again, but the truth is I cannot decide wich one to buy. A macbook is more than enough for the stuff i do on my notebook nowadays (internet, music, photo, webdesing and text). But every time I loot at the iMac, I get conquered by its fantastic design and video quality.

I would buy a macbook for the mobility, only to move around the house or cafes and parks. On the other hand, I can picture myself listening to music, watching movies and doing a lot of things at the same time at the huge iMac screen.

It's really hard for me to decide. It's my first one, so which one will get me totally satisfied?

thanks!

PS: I have been a notebook user for years, but actually I don't take it outside that often.

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

You may have already answered your question, in the last sentence. Although, it's nice to carry a notebook with you from room-to-room.

I'm in the same boat and I too am thinking of jumping from this sinking barge called Windows. I'll keep an eye out for this post. Hopefully you wan't get to many "Search Nazis" on this...:rolleyes:

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Get the macbook and add more ram to total 4GB. Then go out and get a 21 or 22" monitor and you will have the best of both worlds

4. bbeesley macrumors newbie

Don't you have a TV for watching movies? With regard to listening to music, don't know what the speakers are like on an iMac or Macbook but the ones on my macbook pro are a bit crap, best off just getting an airtunes plug for your hifi.

It all depends what you wanna do with it but for the record I never use my desktop anymore since I bought my macbook.

5. danistyping macrumors regular

DEFINITELY. Get the white macbook with 4gb, you'll have plenty of dough left to get a beautiful display with built in speakers and an hdmi input so you can even hook up cable tv or a video game console when you're home.

6. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I noticed that the difference between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro is enough to spend the extra $200...or is it? I know absolutely nothing about Macs.

^ Can the iPad perform the same tasks as a MacBook?

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

iMac, if not get a macbook pro. I think the macbook isn't worth it...just mop

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Macbooks are $800 at microcenter right now, a great deal for one.

the 13" MBP and Macbook are *identical* in speed on everything.

Go with the MB and a larger screen like has already been suggested... best of both worlds.

9. bbeesley macrumors newbie

To be fair, I have a 2.53ghz 4gb ram mbp 13" and it doesn't have anything in common with a standard macbook, not to say the macbook isn't good, but dont say the 13" mbp is no better. As someone with both desktops and laptops I find the 13" mbp a better option than the larger ones, the whole point of a laptop is to be portable.

10. bighand thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers so far. I still accept suggestions, mainly of those who have had the same doubt and made the decision. I want to know if they regret or not.

I am still in doubt, but i see that most of you are for the macbook or the mbp. That will count on my decision.

Actually i don't see much difference now between the mb and the mbp, regardless of the cover, sd card and the firewire entry. Am i right?

Thanks a lot. :)

Claudio

11. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! Looks like I'm going with a MacBook with a memory upgrade. I plan on getting it from the Mac Outlet Center. Thanks!!

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Comparing 13" MB with MBP base model, the battery, LED LCD, processor, and memory are identical. The MBP offers a backlit keyboard and a firewire port. The MB offers a 50% larger hard drive (250 vs 160). If I had to chose, it would be a MB - more for less

13. glasscity macrumors member

imac. If you don't take it outside very often, the portability isn't going to really be an issue. Just set up a nice, cozy area where you can put your imac, maybe something that will inspire you to do work, or whatever you like really, and you won't really want to move it around.

14. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

1st you have to answer the question : mobility or not.

If you need mobility, that rules out the iMac.

If you don't need mobility, then ...

15. premedios macrumors newbie

In August of last year, I bought my first Mac which was a Macbook Pro 17" (late 2009). Since then I've had no problems whatsoever!

16. bighand thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for everyone who helped me.

I finally decided for the macbook with 4GB and 500 gb of HD. It shall arrive at my hands by the end of next week.

Looking forward for it!

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Awesome! You'll love it.

For a number of years I had a 12" PowerBook G4 on my desk, with a nice LCD monitor attached to it (it started off as a 17", then it became a 20" widescreen). The PowerBook mostly didn't go anywhere but it was sure handy to be able to pick it up and go on the odd time I was going away.

When the PowerBook hard drive died, I actually bought an iMac for a while and enjoyed it for about 6 months, then decided that I really missed having a laptop, so I sold the iMac and bought a 15" MacBook Pro.

I think if I was doing it again today I would buy the 13" MacBook Pro for its mobility, then attach it to a nice 24" widescreen monitor from Dell or some such.

18. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I know you've already made your decision, but for others who haven't yet, I recently picked up a 21.5" iMac after being in a similiar situation -just the standard one and I love it. Doesn't take up any space and works great. I will be getting an iPad for the mobility around the house (WiFi only).

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree completely; ask yourself how much you need, or want, mobility, even the limited definition of mobility that views mobility as being able to move a computer from room to room, rather than from campus to home, or city to city. For me, this is a key consideration. The MB is an excellent computer and you'll enjoy it. However, if mobility is not vital, then choose the stunning screen of the iMac.

Cheers

20. sorjai macrumors newbie

Argh, you guys are making it harder for me to buy a mac desktop at home, haha :). I'm on quite a budget and was thinking about getting a mac mini since it's the cheapest mac to get for building iPhone/iPad apps. I wasn't sure if 2gb of ram is enough for development. Then there's the possibility of me traveling to clients. Would carrying a small mac mini be good enough? Or will I need a laptop for it? Decisions...