My first Mac iTunes help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bez59, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Bez59 macrumors regular

Hi,

I will be getting my first mac in a few days.

Its a 15" MacBook pro, 2.2 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 240gb SSD.

My current setup is a windows xp pc with my media including iTunes on a nas.

My question is can i transfer my iTunes library and iPhone back ups to my mac?

Also when i sync my iPhone with my mac will it know it is the same iTunes library or will it tell me it is a new library and remove everything from the iPhone and start again?

Thanks Bez.

2. Bez59 thread starter macrumors regular

I have added all my music to itunes on the mac but it didn't transfer my apps anyone know how i can add all my apps to my library?

3. batmangorden macrumors member

batmangorden

Your apps are connected to your account and you will for the most part always "own" them. You should be able to re-download them from the app store.

;)Hope this helps.

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

If you copy the iTunes folder, as a whole, onto an external drive and then 'drop' it in your new Mac, everything should transfer over. Ratings, play counts, artwork, date added, etc. This would also include all your apps, movies, books, movies, and locally-stored backups. At least that's how seamless it was for me, when I copied the iTunes folder off of my Vista laptop onto my new iMac.

You can also just back up your iPhone to iCloud and, after you've synced with the Mac, do an iCloud restore. This will bring back all of your contacts, camera roll images, settings/preferences, texts, and download all of your apps back onto your iPhone. You would then have the option transfer all those apps/purchases into iTunes on your Mac.

Good luck! :)

5. Bez59 thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping i wouldn't have to go and download them all as i have quite a lot of apps.

I have my media stored on my NAS so i can't just copy it onto my mac, so i went into itunes and clicked add folder which added all my music but came up with an error or something for the apps so they didn't get added.

Thanks for the replies.

6. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Just to be clear, you wouldn't actually have to go into the AppStore to download them again, per se (although, you could). When you initiate the iCloud restore, all of your apps will appear on your phone, arranged exactly in the same order you have them now (folders and all), but they wont be installed. You'll have to be on wifi so that the phone can download/install them. It's really easy - just gotta be on wifi and give it time, if you have a lot of apps.