Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

09vdubgti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Well i start college next week and my school recommends Mac so im going that way. Ok so i went to best buy the other day and looked at their line up and liked the 15"mbp i like a bigger screen so 15 is fit for my likings. Ok so i was looking at the 2.53GHz which is going for $1,599.00 and the 2.66GHz which is going for 1,849.00. Now is the processor speed noticeable?worth the extra money? and how much better is the graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB over the standard one? My main use for the laptop is mainly going to be for school ( presentations, essays etc) aswell as my traktor pro and logic. Im also a novice photographer as i like to call my self. Also i run midi keyboard and controllers when i want to get creative with my music i dontt know if that matters or not. So my question is, is the 250 worth it? im not a technical guy but it seems to me that i am getting a good value for just an extra 250. SO do you guys have any tips for a noob like me when i go buy it? anything i should be aware of or concernd about? I hear that a new os is coming out friday, will that already come standard in the computer or will it be an extra?

thanks, i apprececiate anyone that took time to read and respond to my thread!!!!:)

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Welcome to Macs and to MacRumors.

The upgrades you will get are, in my opinion, definitely worth the $150. You won't notice the difference in processor speed, but for the video upgrade alone it is worth the price (assuming you aren't breaking the bank in doing it).

Snow Leopard, the new OS, will be released this Friday, August 28. All computers purchased after June 8 (that means you) will be eligible to purchase it at $10 through the Up-to-Date Program. (source)

09vdubgti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Welcome to Macs and to MacRumors.

The upgrades you will get are, in my opinion, definitely worth the $150. You won't notice the difference in processor speed, but for the video upgrade alone it is worth the price (assuming you aren't breaking the bank in doing it).

Snow Leopard, the new OS, will be released this Friday, August 28. All computers purchased after June 8 (that means you) will be eligible to purchase it at $10 through the Up-to-Date Program. (source)

Hey.....thnx alot

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Well my tip would be that $1849 minus $1599 is $250, not $150.

What college is this again? :D

My advice would be whichever you get, buy the AppleCare Protection Plan. Seriously. Never buy an Apple notebook without it. Not cuz they're crappy computers, but because it can be awesome service that, depending on how you need it, can pay for itself in one use.

laney18

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Higher Education Discount

Over here in the UK the higher education store gets you 15% discount, and applecare for free, and obviously the free iPod Touch

I'm in a similar position as I start uni in about a month and I'm going to go for the 15" 2.66ghz with the 9600M GT. I was going to go for the one of the 13" but decided I'll need the bigger screen for coding and the odd bit of DJing that I do from time to time.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Over here in the UK the higher education store gets you 15% discount, and applecare for free, and obviously the free iPod Touch

I'm in a similar position as I start uni in about a month and I'm going to go for the 15" 2.66ghz with the 9600M GT. I was going to go for the one of the 13" but decided I'll need the bigger screen for coding and the odd bit of DJing that I do from time to time.

Damn, I wish ours offered free AppleCare!

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
I was in the exact same situation and went for the 2.66 and am very happy I did. I have found myself using programs that require the better GPU simply because I can. I had planned on never doing any PC gaming when I purchased and now can say I am a part time PC gamer.

Good luck in school and great educated choice.

09vdubgti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Well my tip would be that $1849 minus $1599 is $250, not $150.

What college is this again? :D

My advice would be whichever you get, buy the AppleCare Protection Plan. Seriously. Never buy an Apple notebook without it. Not cuz they're crappy computers, but because it can be awesome service that, depending on how you need it, can pay for itself in one use.

it was about time someone noticed that its actually 250 i was just testing u guys out lol jk yea wow idk why i put 150.

yea on purchases like this i always purchase a protection plan, i like having peace of mind

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Apple Care.

Get it within the first year. Best money I have spent on my MacBook.

When your hard drive fails like mine did you will thank your lucky stars.

09vdubgti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Yea, im not buying from Best Buy i just went to go look at them, there because BB is closer to me then Apple store but I will purchase from Apple Store in Menlo park mall. I want to get a touch free well atleast after mail and rebate i wasnt looking at it before since i was planning on getting an iphone but i didnt end up getting the iphone, went for a Nokia N97 instead.

Yes, the $250 has been established already

jstate1983

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Nixa, MO
Yeah, going for the 2.66 will have its advantages as far has having slightly more speed but the graphics card would be the biggest upgrade as far as the different systems. So obviously if just basic school projects are all you are going to be working on then I would say tho just stick with the 2.53. If you do any gaming or any resource (gaming) intensive programs then you will notice the difference if you upgrade due to the processor and graphics card. If you wanted to check it out for yourself the link below will show you the differences in processors (which really arent any besides a slight increase in speed). The 2.53 processor model number is the P8700 and the 2.66 is the P8800

http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Notebook/core2duo-detail.htm

Good luck. After you get used to it, you will love a Mac.

09vdubgti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2009
hey guys!!!! Guess where im posting this comment from? Yes, thats right i got my Macbook Pro today!!!! Im so excited to explore the vast features of this mac. I was surprised to find out that snow leopard was actually included already inside the box ( not installed but the disc for installation) i thought that it was a seperate purchase. I got the applecare of course and the ipod touch and the printer which are going to be free when i get that rebate check back. I ended up getting the 2.6ghz model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.