My first mac - what to do first?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matttb, Aug 20, 2009.

1. matttb macrumors newbie

Ok so I got my first ever mac today, it's a 17" macbook pro. What should I do with it first to get everything set out for me? What is the best msn client? What is the best web browser? Any other programs that are really useful that i should download?

cheers

2. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

First of all, congrats! 17" MBP, way to swing for the fences!! Nice!

Did you get iWork with it? If not, and you need an office suite, I'd look there and check it out. Or look at NeoOffice, which is free(!!).

Get an external FW or USB disk drive, and set it up as a Time Machine backup. Do that soon.

As for browsers, I use Safari and love it. I also keep FireFox updated, just in case.

You're going to love the MBP. I love mine:D

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

The best MSN client is Adium, easily. It also supports multiple IM clients. And Safari is awesome in my opinion.

http://adium.im/

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple - Find Out How online tutorials on many topics
    Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

(1) Make an admin account, don't use it for "normal" work.
    (2) Make an account for you and anyone else who may be using the Mac

(3) set up a backup system. At first you have no data so it hardly is needed but over time this will change. First step is to buy an external disk at least 2X large then the internal one and set up Time Machine. Then after you have some data buy a few more external drives for backup and rotate these keping at least ne at some off-sit location

(4) For the most part just stay with what software Apple suplies. Safari is a great web browser. The mac ships with iLife which is all many people need

What other software might you need? That depends on what you will use the mac for. What is your intended use. A 17" MBP is a high end machine you must have something in mind other then web browsing

6. dandaman2 macrumors regular

I download a ton of software but end up deleting most of it (via AppTrap). Some of the things I've kept are iStat menus, EverSave, Adium (the best chat client for MSN and everything else), and OpenOffice (an alternative to NeoOffice). I agree that you should be backing up, and would recommend you double something via Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner with Mozy or another off-site solution. I only have one account, and I do fine with it, unless you're getting really geeky I wouldn't worry about that.

Congrats, and have fun with it!