My First Mac Woes :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crossingover, Mar 14, 2008.

1. crossingover macrumors newbie

I just got my brand new blackbook 2.4 maybe a week ago..

I have constant problems with zuma freezing randomly and having to force quit it

Same with pocket tanks...

And now when I try to restart, it doesn't; instead i just see a the gray circle thing going into an endless loop.

This is stuff i'd expect from Windows, not Mac :(

Any ideas what might be the problem?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a memory or permissions problem. Boot off of your OS X DVD or Software Restore DVD holding down C and use Disc Utility to verify/repair both the hard drive and permissions. If it is a memory problem, you may need to take out and put back the memory. You may also get more info using the Hardware test disc that came with the system.

TEG

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Open up the app "Console" and try to find out what happened at the time where the apps stopped responding and what caused it.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

He can't get into the computer.

TEG

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What it sounds like to me is that he can get into the computer, but it does not get all the way through the shut down process after the apps stop responding. I'm sure that if he held down the power button to turn it off and then turn it on again it would work, because in the OP they stated it was a constant issue.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

7. crossingover thread starter macrumors newbie

zuma and pocket tanks are fun little games to play

I'm able to get on the computer, its just that sometimes when I try to restart the computer the dock disappears (which it normally does on a normal restart) but then i'm left staring at my desktop background and a little gray circle that never goes away (same gray circle you see when booting).

I ran the hardware test and the memory passed with no errors (did a quick run through). I had also been using this ram in my previous windows computer and it seemed to work fine (with the random crashes, but that always happens on windows....)

I looked in the console and it seems zuma crashes because "a premature end of a jpeg file" so i'm guessing this is probably a zuma related software problem? (I have version 1.0 ... gonna see if theres any updates available and try reproduce the freezes)

Not sure why pocket tanks crashed, couldnt find any information in the console. Maybe just a freak occurence?

I've been trying very hard to make the transition from windows to mac. I've been finding alternatives to programs I used to use on windows so I can go all mac. Vista is buggy as hell and once microsoft drops support for xp it seems the only real choice for me is OSX (vista sucks big time!)

I've been installing and deleting alot of programs... not sure if that might have anything to do with the "hiccups" I'm experiencing.

Anyways thanks for your input. I might try a full reinstall of leopard once i've played around with a couple more programs I might like to use.