My First Mac... won't start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sleazy E, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

So my 13" MBP arrived today and unfortunatly my first mac experience isn't a pleasant one. The computer wont start. I am hoping I am doing something wrong but I have gone through the step by step troubleshooting and my computer just sits there with a blank black screen. It shows that the charge is full and when i click the power button the little white light glows in front, however, no sound nor no startup happens on the screen.

Ugh, so frustrated because Apple support is closed at this hour too. Anybody hear of this issue before and a possible resolve?

Thanks in advance.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sorry to hear your Mac isn't working as it should :(

Most of the time, they work great. But occasionally something may have gone wrong with your individual unit during its production or when it was shipped to you.

The most you can do is give Apple a call. Unfortunately, the support lines are currently closed. You could try contacting sales, as they're open 24/7. I don't know if they have the authority to swap you out for a new machine, but that might be of some help.

Either way, don't let this put you down. Once you're up and running, I think your experience on the Mac will be a great one :)

3. Sleazy E thread starter macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Took it to the Apple store. They said it is DOA. Amazon is overnighting me a new one tomorrow as the Apple store said it is Amazon's responsibility to do so. So frustrating, and to be honest it makes me worried about the quality of these notebooks. I hope this was just extremely bad luck and not a precursor of whats to come as a macbook pro owner.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience. I'm glad they opted for overnight shipping. Tell us your impressions when you're on your new MacBook. :)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

well, you save a bit of money shopping at Amazon, but if you had bought it at Apple they would replace it on the spot.
    Sometimes 3rd party resellers will require you to ship a defective product back to them then have them try to repair it before
    they replace it. It's the big reason why I don't buy from 3rd parties.

There's always a number of computers from any company that show up DOA.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've read the rest of your posts, and I know it's pointless at this point, but didn't the Apple store geniuses try a PMU/SMC reset? After what you've described happening, it'd be the first thing I'd try. At any rate I'm sure you'll be happy with your MBP as soon as it gets to you.

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

The quality of the MBP should be a non-issue, but if it is, the Apple Store will do all repairs after it is opened and outside of the 14-day exchange window.

8. Sleazy E thread starter macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Yes they did, they couldn't figure out why it was just a blank black screen. You can even feel the fan working. Wouldn't even accept a disc either.

9. Sleazy E thread starter macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Ya, I wasn't frustrated that Apple wasn't able to replace it on the spot, i understood why. You are right, sometimes saving a few bucks ends up being an inconvenience when things go wrong.

Oh well I guess by the weekend I will have forgotten all this even happened and be enjoying my new computer :)

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Oh you will. Happy early Xmas. You'll love it. I have been on mine for the past 3 months! LOL