My first Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HenryHealy, May 5, 2012.

1. HenryHealy macrumors member

Hello all.
    I'm looking to buy my first Mac. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a MacBook Pro because it suits all of my standards. I'm waiting to see what refreshes Apple has for the MacBooks.
    What Mac should I get for my first one? I will use it for media, documents, etc. Is this the right choice?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model will easily handle the needs you mentioned. It's a matter of your personal preference which model you choose.

3. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

I too just got my first, went for the entry 15" and upgraded the ram to 8gb and I now looking at getting a SSD. Its cheaper than getting it from apple.

Have to say Im no tech guy but these things are quick, powerful and look great at home or at work on my desk :)

Everything is so simple once you get over the first few days if you used to windows like I was but then its awesome.

Be warned tho, its like a drug addiction lol, you'll see what I mean soon :)

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

As others have said any mac will easily handle your needs. If you want the ability to do some upgrades then go with the MBP. You really won't need anything bigger than the 13" as it will have more than enough power for you. If you want portability and an SSD then go with a MBA, either the 11 or 13. In the end it really comes down to your personal preference. I would head to an Apple store and play around with them both and see which you prefer.

5. HenryHealy thread starter macrumors member

To me, the Pro is everything I need but I love the design of the Air. I want to upgrade the ram and the HDD to a SSD but I will wait for WWDC. I'll wait and see what sort of treats Apple has up their sleeve.

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I recommend the MBP simply because you want to upgrade it and also a few years down the line it will still be a powerful laptop.

7. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi man,

My first mac was a 2009 imac and I loved it. I recently sold it, and am going to be getting a 2012 macbook pro for my next mac!

Bottom line, whatever suits your needs! All macs are great! I would suggest a pro, or for use at home, an imac or a mac mini connected to an external!

Good luck man

8. HenryHealy thread starter macrumors member

Much appriciated

Thanks for the advice. It will probably be a Pro.

9. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Standards? ( Why? )

You can do all of that on a non pro machine.

10. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Can you head up to your Apple store in town?

It took me quite some time to decide between all the options available - I personally will get the 15 Inch MBP.

Most important thing: try it yourself.

Good luck

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Definitely wait and see what gets announced at WWDC. You may be able to get an Air that has a suitable amount of RAM, and since it already comes with an SSD you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading that. Either a MBP or a MBA would suit your needs fine, though.

12. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I feel your pain, 6 years ago i downloaded iTunes for my PC...

13. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Don't forget to look at the 13" Air, if the screen size is sufficient for you.