Resolved my first mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by egy195, Feb 17, 2014.

1. egy195, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

egy195 macrumors regular

hello everyone,
    i really need your help, i'm a windows user and have been for nearly all my life and i really want to switch to the mac world
    i can't decide what is the best mac for me, at this stage i need a laptop but i can't decide which one
    i will use it for facebook youtube videos and surfing the web, no video editing or any heavy stuff, please help :)

2. metanoiac macrumors member

Sounds like the MacBook Air is for you. It is perfect for all the light stuff you describe, and battery life is amazing. I first worried about not having a retina screen, since I love it on the iPad, but the screen on the current Airs is fine.

Storage is up to you how much you need. I stream most of my music and my photos are on an external drive, so I opted for the smallest SSD.

If you want to keep the laptop for some years, I recommend spending the extra money on 8GB ram. You won't be able to upgrade these machines, so if you want to future proof it, then you have to do it at the time you are buying it.

Enjoy!

3. macs4nw, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

As Metanoiac above suggested, based upon your requirements, a MBA is your definite choice.

A (very nimble) dream machine for facebook, e-mailing, youtube, and surfing the web, etc., with amazing battery life. If you were to upgrade it at all, your most bang-for-your-buck, in that order, would be to get the 8GB of memory upgrade, followed by the most flash storage you can afford, and lastly the processor upgrade. These upgrades cannot be done later, keep that in mind.

Btw, for an extra $100 --everything else being equal-- the 13" model, besides giving you the larger screen, also gives you the SDXC card slot as well as a 25-30% battery life increase. Good luck!

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

A maxed-out (in terms of affordability) 13" MBA will give you a wonderful experience if you need mobility.

If you do not need mobility, then a 27" iMac with an SSD is the one to get.