My first Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SrMasterSell, Nov 18, 2007.

1. SrMasterSell macrumors newbie

I went to the Tampa Apple Store last night to buy my first ever Mac, I got the Black MacBook 2.2.

I have been playing with it all night long! Wow, what an awesome machine!

I have been transferring my files from my Toshiba Qosmio to the MacBook. The Toshiba runs so damn hot, you can not hold it near your lap, this MacBook is not even warm!

I am a switcher. The straw that broke the camels back was Vista, I was so excited about Vista when it came out, I bought Vista Ultimate the day it came out and I have regretted that decision -- it looks nice (not as nice as Leopard) but it was so slow and kept me from being productive because of software crashes. I will be wiping it and going back to XP and giving it to my wife.

I am so excited to be working on OSX now, truth is I have admired OSX since it came out -- Sexy and tons of eye candy!

Life is good :)

Ron

PS I don't have any of the problems that other people say they have with the MacBook. It is not hot at all, I have not heard the fans kick on in high gear, screen is beautiful, my wireless is upstairs and I am down stairs and I have 100 % signal. Even my next door neighbors' signal is at 100%. I was also amazed that I was traveling down I-275 through the middle of Tampa and I kept picking up everyone's WiFi! I downloaded all the updates first thing and it happened in less than 5 minutes. This machine makes me happy! I guess I am lucky! :) The staff at the Apple store last night was awesome too, the lady checking me out tried to figure out how she could save me money by giving me a discount. I ended up saving 3% on my MacBook and 5% on my iWork 08. Not much, but she did not have to go out of her way to save me anything. Hope this review helps.

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Congrats! And welcome to Mac! I switched about 4 years ago, trust me you won't regret it. Glad to see someone actually post a good experience for a change. Nice that they gave you a discount.

3. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

I wish every Apple experience was like what you had! That nice lady at the checkout seemed so sweet ^_^ I love people like that!

4. SrMasterSell thread starter macrumors newbie

So awesome

It is the "little" things that make me smile about this Awesome laptop!

I just went to the office, plugged my new Black MacBook into my /usb hub on my desk and it instantly recognized my wireless mouse (Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000) without prompting me for drivers or anything. Also it recognized my HP Color Laserjet 2605dn without asking for any disks!

I am amazed!

This thing is so cool :)

Ron

PS it looks so sexy on my black desk :)

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

In reality, the OS does do some driver stuff, just like Windows, but it does it much much faster (faster than Vista as well) and entirely in the background. You plug in a mouse in OS X, and by the time your hand is back over to the mouse, it is ready to use. Not always the case with Vista (it is more the rule than the exception though, thank goodness).

Good to hear that you are enjoying your purchase.

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Excellent to hear... I myself am very weary of vista and think that XP sp2 is still what I would recommend. It has seemed to me that the biggest reason to switch to a mac is to not use vista.
    The best OS to me has been OS X... the only times which it has crashed were because I did something I shouldn't have, not because there was a glitch. when I first started using it, I was flabbergasted by the force quit which doesn't lock up the hardware, like windows does.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. One of the great things about macs is they just work! Enjoy!