Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAC512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Austin, Texas
So I had an itch to buy a new laptop the other day and thought "why not a Mac". So I checked craigslist and found an iBook G3 and decided to buy it. It's the duel USB, 600MHz one. I must say I love this computer. I have upgraded the old 20GB HD to a 100GB HD. I also bought an airport card and wireless base. I'm not sure if I want to spend 100 on the .mac package so I'm on the 60 day trial still deciding. Ive download some programs like Firefox, Yahoo Messenger and Limewire. Just this morning I bought Office 2004 and a wired mighty mouse. I'm still looking to max out the ram. I have 256mb in there now. I think tomorrow I'll go to the local computer store and see if they have a 512 stick. Anyways are there any cool programs to have on a Mac? Please leave me any comments or advice you might have... Thanks.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
congrats on yoru first mac!

i def recommend .mac
it just makes the whole mac experince easier casuse it can backup your settings and preference.. contacts..calendar etc online

another program i recommend is handbrake or visualhub
if you have an ipod and plan to do any conversion from dvd/avi to ipod/iphone etc
handbrake is from dvd to whichever format
and visual hub is from avi to another format

BioChron

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Alaska
Congrats!

I program I use for Yahoo Messenger, and can be used for Gmail, MSN, AIM, and more is Adium. It's a great, clean little app that is perfect for messaging. If you have a Gmail account, Gmail Notifier is good if you don't want to tie your mail to Mail.app. Also, if you use Flickr, Flickr Uploadr is a great program for putting pictures on there.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Don't forget to head over to videolan.org and download VLC to let you play DIVX movies (I think a 600 dual USB G3 might be JUST powerful enough to play back a 480p DIVX file in VLC) . Ignore the VisualHub/Handbrake suggestion... a G3 iBook would take many, many hours to convert a DVD into anything; it takes my 1.33 GHz G4 iBook over 6 hours!

MAC512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Austin, Texas
congrats on yoru first mac!

i def recommend .mac
it just makes the whole mac experince easier casuse it can backup your settings and preference.. contacts..calendar etc online

another program i recommend is handbrake or visualhub
if you have an ipod and plan to do any conversion from dvd/avi to ipod/iphone etc
handbrake is from dvd to whichever format
and visual hub is from avi to another format

So what exactly can I do with .Mac?? Ive just been using in the mail application.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Congrats! good job on upgrading the HD, as it's fairly difficult to replace the HD in ibooks.

For memory check out macsales or dealram

Keep in mind that ibook is not the top of the line laptop, even back in the day, but if you get a new battery, you should be able to run 3.5-5 hours.

MAC512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Austin, Texas
Congrats! good job on upgrading the HD, as it's fairly difficult to replace the HD in ibooks.

For memory check out macsales or dealram

Keep in mind that ibook is not the top of the line laptop, even back in the day, but if you get a new battery, you should be able to run 3.5-5 hours.

Yeah, i bought this to help me decide if I want to go Mac or stay Pc. As of now I'm leaning towards Apple. If I decide to stay Apple I'm going to buy a Mac Book Pro.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
congrats!

Congrats on your mac purchase. I for one have had my imac for just over a year now. I definitely would never go back to windows unless I had too. I was FORCED to use a windows while in Texas. Boy was I definitely disappointed in Vista. I used my husband's laptop and I definitely won't use it again. I think in the future I will get me a macbook for trips or just bring my 20' imac with me. They seem to have good carrying cases for transporting an imac. ;):D

Hubby has mentioned to me that he should have gotten a macbook. Lesson learned...MAC ALL THE WAY!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well, here are some advantages of a Mac laptop to look for:

+ Smaller power supply with clever cord management (see picture below).
+ Longer battery life compared to same laptop running windows.
+ Even weight distribution, easy to walk around with it, even type with one hand while holding with another.
+ Battery keeps its charge much longer than wintels in sleep mode. No need to shut down for traveling.
+ Close lid to sleep; open to wake. Fairly instantly. Easy to take it out of the bag, use it for 2 minutes, close and put it back into the bag.
+ Occasional reboots faster than wintels of the same speed / age.
+ Keyboard short cuts are more convenient (Command key is much easier to use than ctrl). Note OS X is full of keyboard short cuts, and if you know what you are doing, you can run around windows in circles.
+ More processing power than same computer running windows (Geekbench puts my MBP, running XP at 85% score as running OSX).

Attachments

• ma938_125.jpg
    ma938_125.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 212

MAC512

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Austin, Texas
Congrats on your mac purchase. I for one have had my imac for just over a year now. I definitely would never go back to windows unless I had too. I was FORCED to use a windows while in Texas. Boy was I definitely disappointed in Vista. I used my husband's laptop and I definitely won't use it again. I think in the future I will get me a macbook for trips or just bring my 20' imac with me. They seem to have good carrying cases for transporting an imac. ;):D

Hubby has mentioned to me that he should have gotten a macbook. Lesson learned...MAC ALL THE WAY!

I feel you on being forced to use Windows. I'm in a New Tech High program (The first one in Texas) and all the machines are Windows. After using my Mac all afternoon i feel bad for using those damn things at school. As for a desktop I went to the Apple store in the Mall and feel in love with the 24' imac. WOW!! I think I'm going to buy that and hold off on the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.