my first mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evillageprowler, Nov 12, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I bought my first Mac this Saturday... One hour after my wife left for the airport to visit her family, I drove to the Apple Store with the intent of buying the mid-range 20" iMac. Just before the sales girl was about to slide my CC, I decided that I didn't want to buy outdated hardware. The notebooks seemed like much better value to me, but which model do I get?!?

After thinking through all my choices, I decided to get basic 15" MBP. I have not done anything heavy duty on it yet, but it sure is a sweet-looking notebook.

Let's hope this is worth the grief I'll likely get in 2 weeks when my wife returns. :eek:

EVP

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Good call.

There are things I don't like about the new MBPs (mainly the glossy only), but if it's anything like my 18-month-old unit, it will be AWESOME. They're almost as powerful as the iMacs with the awesome portability.

If you come here often, you'll find out about all sorts of different pieces of software you can download. OpenOffice can save you $150 on Microsoft Office if you just need occasional use. You should also check out HandBrake if you want to rip your DVDs to iTunes.

3. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, Michael.

I checked out Handbrake last night and ripped a DVD movie. Aside from the issue of having to change location of the super drive (it seemed like I had to change from US to central Siberia or vice versa), it went smoothly. It took about an hour or so to rip that 125 minute movie into mpeg4 with h.264 encoding for ATV.

And, the playback on my 32" HDTV was nice. Haven't tried it yet on my iPhone, but I expect no issues.

EVP