My first Macbook Pro... but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tLustej.miCin, Sep 23, 2015.

1. tLustej.miCin macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I finally managed to by my first Macbook Pro mid 2014 15inch. I am so carried away. The system is awesome - still I have to get used to the file system and all the shortcuts but - probably as everyone else - I am coming to a conclusion - This just works.

The keyboard is great - I am a person typing with all ten fingers and I really cannot complain. Noise of the device - wait what? It makes completely no noise at all! Whoa :) Only when I tried to install Dota 2, then the fans started cooling down the system.

The display is something I love all the Apple products for. The pixel density, the brightness is so awesome. I love my iP5 as well but this Retina on 15 in version. So nice. I also use f.lux app to calm my eyes during evenings.

I feel so confident using the trackpad. I really dont mind I do not have the newest ForceTouch feature. I like the old mechanical one. Working with it is so essential, natural, easy. I barely want to use my connected mouse. So I use a Wacom tablet and the trackpad.

But let`s get to the point what I find curious:

One thing that kinda bothers me is - for this huge amount of money I expected my MBP to run and behave smoothly. Sometimes I experience not so smooth and fluent system behavior.
    Such as in Photoshop I am not getting fluent and smooth zooms from time to time. I work with 12Mpx raw files.
    For example. I have set up two virtual desktops. One has a safari playing youtube, facebook, messaging app and ftp program and the other desktop has 2 adobe bridges windows and one photoshop app. Now the zooming in photoshop gets a bit laggy. Wait what? I thought this is a great working performance machine. Am I doing something wrong? Is the Intel Iris Pro not enough? Or is it just a Photoshop issue?

2. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Welcome to Mac!

I edit raw files - most are over 20mb in size usually with Aperture and Photoshop open. I might have Safari running, but that is about it. I've never experienced any lag. However, you do have a lot of programs running.

It could be also that you don't have a dedicated graphics card. I have a 2012 15" rMBP 2.7GHz/16MB/750GB (this was the most powerful unit at the time - a custom BTO version). This has Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics.

If the return policy applies, maybe return it and get the higher end unit to see if it makes a difference.

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

I play around with alot of apps between my iGPU and dGPU, the Iris Pro has a mild tendency to stutter when reloading textures.. If its not something you can deal with, recommend exchanging for one with a dGPU