My first Macbook Pro or worst nightmare; update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by backmoo pro, Jun 14, 2009.

1. backmoo pro macrumors newbie

Update post # 9

Hello all,

I've been skulking around this forum for a while now and I was hoping to actively join in discussions when I got my 'brand new' Macbook Pro. I've been saving for months to get it and was looking forward to buying it today. I really was....

It's a long post, I've bolded things if you want the summary.

I decided I wanted the previous generation UMBP 2.66 Ghz because of better graphics card, Expresscard and the whole SATA I/II debacle. They didn't sell them online anymor (and they don't do refurb in the Netherlands) so I decided to buy mine from iFactors, a dutch premium reseller.

I phoned on saturday to ask them whether they would give me an educational discount on the machine. they said, yeah, but it's 3 % for teachers. I said thanks and went back to skulking and searching on the internet. Today I phoned to ask the same question (I figured I'd give it a try) and lo and behold; the guy tells me: 6 % discount. I say; are you sure, a guy from your tore told me 3 % yesterday. he says; yeah I'm sure. I ask for his name so I can contact him when I get to the store.

I go to the shop (quite some way away) withn my dad, figuring; I know what I want, I'll quickly get it and spend the rest of the day with my family. Little did I know...

First off; I look for my contact. First thing he does is tell me he can't give me a 6% discount. No, it's 3% after all. I tell him he made an agreement with me and remind him I actually asked if he was sure. He offers me compensation by giving me a sleeve for the 3%. He then calculates 3% from a different, lower price . I notice and ask him; are we talking the same machine; the 2.66 Ghz previous generation macbook pro? He says yes. I say, with the 512 MB graphic card and Expresscard slot. He smiles and says; yeah. I say I'll take that offer.

He proceeds to bring out a box and scans it. He creates a receipt/invoice/watchamacallit. We pay. The printer jams so we have to wait for the receipt. I ask him; is it okay if I check it out in store while my dad waits? He says; sure. He takes me upstairs to some sort of lounge. He switches the machine on and waits for the startup. After it initiates the 1st use setup he says; see it works, so you wanna take it with you? I say, hold on, let me tinker a bit. He asks me; is this your first mac? I say yeah (little did he know thanks to this forum I knew what to look for). I then initiate the setup. He says; are you sure you don't want to do this at home? I'm feeling hassled and think; well NOW I'm sure I don't want to! After the setup I move the cursor to the apple on the toolbar with a heavy heart. This is my first mac but it feels wrong. I click about this mac and lo and behold; it's the inferior 2.53 GhZ model!.

I say; this is not the machine we discussed. The guy is all 'surprised'. I go downstairs and join my dad, then we get the receipt which has the wrong friggin model right on there!. I say; we won't accept this; it's not the machine we discussed.

Words are had, fuss is kicked.

In the end after a long wait he admits he quoted me the lower, wrong price offers me either a further discount of € 100 on the 2.55 model I 'bought' (that part is extra important!) or the 2.66 model I ordered. I say; I want the model I ordered. He tries to sell it to me for the original price, I say no; you promised it to me for that price. He says can't do and even the supervisor says this, saying apple won't allow it. Afterwords I wonder; why CAN they give me extra discount on the cheaper model, but not on the 2.66?

Bullsh#t, that's why.

I say I want my money back. We arrange this and I leave. I get them to write down on my receipt they are working on an immdeiate refund and have it signed by the guy who 'helped' me and the supervisor. Now I have to wait and see whether they hurry the hell up with the refund...

This has left me feeling like ****. I really saved months for this and some git tries to con me out of my money right in front of me. I mean he must have known about the inferior model type, there's just too many coincidences! To boot they're Premium Reseller!

Don't buy at iFactors The Hague!

Anyone else in the Netherlands have similar experiences with this shop? Or experiences like this with premium resellers?

Do you think I was right acting the way I did?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You did the right thing. If you can, go there again and talk with store manager and tell him how they treated you.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Sounds like a bad deal by the reseller - you gotta complain or you'll get shafted.

Ever thought of getting ADC and using the 1 off discount? Or seeing what HE discount you could get for the new ones?
    Unless you are already using RAID hard, don't worry about the SATA I/II debacle. Do you *really* need ExpressCard or RAID? If you haven't been using it now, i'd say you wouldn't.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Look slike you walked into a cowboy outfit.. hate it when that happens. No-one walks away happy..

5. backmoo pro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I might do that, though I really really feel like I don't want to see that storefront for a while.

I wanted the older one because I figure it's the most futureproof (with SSD on the rise and I'll be using it for music recording/editing so I thought an expresscard soundcard might be something I'd want one day. I don't know what you mean by ADC?

I know, I can't imagine that afternoon made anyone's day!

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

I would definitely talk to the store manager and discuss what they tried to do. This is VERY wrong.

7. backmoo pro thread starter macrumors newbie

It feels wrong to me, but they'll probably say 'to err is human'. That's what they gave as an excuse this afternoon as well.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you can, do it as soon as possible. Employers can just have a bad day or they're afraid of getting fired or something. Store managers are usually in customers side and as you said, the guy you talked with, tried to cheat you in store. Store manager shouldn't accept that so it's possible that the employer will get fired and you'll get even bigger discount because of all this

9. backmoo pro thread starter macrumors newbie

An update. Thanks in part to all the replies I decided I was not going to let this slide.

I phoned the store and asked whether the manager was in. They said he was so I went there. When I met him I realized I talked to him a few weeks ago. I explained the entire situation to him and how I was shocked and very unhappy with the past days event.

He listened to my story and expressed his regret over the situation. And offered me absolutely no compensation. He said he spoke to the guy who tried to sell me the machine and told me it 'must have not been his day'. I should've replied; no mate, it wasn't mine!

I phoned Apple. At first they said it was between me and the reseller but I managed to convince them these guys were really not doing Apple's reputation any favors. They listened to my story and said they would certainly process it and send it to management. I asked if I could be contacted about the outcome and he said that wasn't possible because it was an internal process. I asked him if he would please note that I really wanted to be contacted about it and he obliged, saying that it was highly unlikely for me to be contacted though (I couldn't hear him typing ;), but I believe he was sincere when he said Apple takes these things very seriously).

I feel really driven to do something about this. Should I wait around a bit and see what happens? Should I send an email to that most famous of addresses? I don't feel it's really Apple's fault but I do think they should step in and do something about it.

Also, the manager said Apple fixes prices for resellers and that was why he couldn't give me a discount. The customer service guy said he thought that wasn't true but wasn't sure.

Anyone know about that?

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

sjobs@apple.com is where you want to send an email. I'd also try to find out the corporate chain of command starting in your country and start from there.

Apple customer service, from my past experience, has usually been quite good. Sorry, it looks like you got in touch with two tools in a row.

One of the things that impresses me about the EU is that they don't back down from anyone. You may want to contact whoever's in charge of corporate affairs there. Good luck!

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Next time, go in with a shotgun and ask can you get the discount that the guy promised :D

12. backmoo pro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. There might be somewhere I can direct my dissatisfied grunts. I'll wait for developments a couple of days before emailing sjobs though. You know he's busy rummaging around garage sales for SATA I chips!

13. backmoo pro thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking 'blowtorch and a pair of pliers' :rolleyes:

14. HyperSnake macrumors member

Nice one!

Oh and by the way, I'm completely with you in this case: those guys at the store are some bastards!

15. suburbia macrumors 6502

That's terrible... You were definitely in the right. Scandinavian Apple Customer Service sounds very strict if they won't even offer you a small discount towards your next purchase as compensation for such a shady experience (and I do believe 100% that the salesman was trying to pull one over on you-- not an innocent mistake at all).

Perhaps try eBay since you're specifically looking for the 2.66?

Best of luck.