My first MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apps, May 13, 2010.

1. Apps macrumors newbie

Apps

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking into buying my first mac and I'm looking at the macbook pro's.

I'm stuck on the following configurations

15"
    i7 2.66Ghz
    4GB ram
    500gb hd 7200rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB
    Hi-Res Screen

15"
    i5 2.4Ghz
    8GB ram
    320gb hd 5400rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB
    Hi-Res Screen

15"
    i5 2.4Ghz
    4GB ram
    128 SSD
    Hi-Res Screen

17"
    i5 2.53GHz
    4GB ram
    500gb hd 7200rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB

I want to get started with graphic design. I'll also want to use it for some gaming. Also storage isn't too important to me.

If you guys have anymore questions on what I'm looking for just let me know.

Thanks.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

one of these two. good prices and will be fine for photo editing etc. others are overkill

3. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I like this config the best.

15"
    i5 2.4Ghz
    4GB ram
    128 SSD
    Hi-Res Screen

i5 and the Solid State drive. I think thats a nice combo

Even though the 17" is cool it is just way to big!!! It is like hauling around a PC! :)

4. Apps thread starter macrumors newbie

Apps

That was quick, thanks!
    Also should I be considering the anti-glare?
    I like how to glossy screens look but I don't want to not be able to use my macbook in a car because of the sun.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

from my expeirence when the screen is at full brightness you dont really recognise it - but when down lower brightness its a bit troubling.

hope u dont get car sick ;)

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

if storage isnt a big deal go for a SSD. i would also spend the extra 100 bucks for the high res screen for design

7. Apps thread starter macrumors newbie

Apps

Yeah I'm definitely going to get the Hi-Res screen on the 15",
    another question I want to ask is if I can upgrade the hard drive in the future, in case SSDs get cheaper in the near future.

8. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

yes, you can upgrade the hard drive and ram by yourself. it will not void your warranty.

9. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

For Graphics Design get the 17" if you can afford it. You'll find that working with graphics by a power of 2 (like 1024x1024) textures perfect on 1080 or better vertical resolution. If you're doing photos, a 15" is fine. I prefer the "gloss", it's nowhere near bad as some claim (some are just fickle), I find the glossy screens "appear" to have better contrast, it may just be an illusion, but a good one for a Graphics Designer.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say go for the 2.4 i5 15", and possibly upgrade the HDD to and SSD later. You would get a better deal and extra storage out of it, depending on the SSD you got, although it appears that the price on the 128GB isn't actually too bad from apple. The screen on the 17 is definitely nice, but it is a ton of computer. I wouldn't want to carry around much more than my 13", so I don't think I would recommend the 17", although if you don't have to carry it around much, then it wouldn't be too bad. Personally, I like having my external monitor and a more portable computer, but the 15" Hi-res should serve you well.

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Please check out the MacBook Pros in person before you order one. I found the high res screen to be very nice (the colors are great) but, I found the smaller font to be much too small to even consider getting the high res.

12. nealjack62 macrumors newbie

yeah, agree with you. both are great . if you are lucky enough, you might get good discount. :D hope you find your idealMacBook Pro

13. Apps thread starter macrumors newbie

Apps

I have a decent 1920x1080 monitor that I could use when I need it but the 17" is even better than that.

I'll look into how small the text looks on the high-res screen, but as long as its not anything rediculous I'll probably go for it.

14. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I'm actually going to pick up your 1st configuration when the back to school promo starts, been waiting since they came out so hopefully I don't have to wait too much longer. I'm a person who prefers space over speed and I can fill a good few hundred Gigs in a short time. That being said it really depends on what you're going to be storing.

15. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I consider the font rediculously small but you might not.

16. Apps thread starter macrumors newbie

Apps

Cool, I'm going to read into that back to school promo.
    I would like to get the bigger hard drive and just start using the macbook for everything like my itunes library and start moving away from my pc, but these SSDs seem to be worth cutting back on storage from what they seem to do.