Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
i know it may be boring but compare the 2 and check there are no duplicates in windows i think it likes to add files twice if there is a m3u knocking round and if there are no duplicates compare the 2 librarys and see if there is something common with the missing ones on your mac (files extension etc)

i don't quite get that.. sorry.. do you mean that the itunes library will delete the same file name??

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
now this is really really strange!!! i have a folder with 38mp3 files in it, but when i drag the music into itunes, it because 56music!?!!?! why is this happening?? please any explanation??

seriously, i have been doing my itunes library for 2 hours now, and i am no where near the finish line!!! WHY THE @#!# is it always duplicating it self?? this only happen in some of the music folder that i am adding into itunes, but sometimes it's fine.. then what i mention above about not having the right amount of music.. WHY is it so hard get thing sorted out in itunes?!?!? i have came to love my mac and now i am totally upset with it.... :( any idea or hint anyone???

Zw42a

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
That is how you remove programs. Every "icon" in your applications folder is actually a folder itself.. inside it are all of the components that the application needs to run, such as the executable, icon, resources, translation files, etc... when you delete one by dragging it to the trash, you are deleting all of that stuff from your machine, it isn't like deleting a shortcut in windows. If you're anal about getting rid of all traces of an application (such as preference files, settings files, etc.), you can try this to remove any associated application data -

AppZapper

AppCleaner does the same and is FREE.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Sorry to piggy back,

I'm going to buy my first Mac ever in about half an hour. MBP 2.53GHz. Anyway,, my college uses Office 07, so to be able to view all the notes the teachers post will I need to get Office for Mac? Or can I get iWork with Pages?

Thanks all

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
now this is really really strange!!! i have a folder with 38mp3 files in it, but when i drag the music into itunes, it because 56music!?!!?! why is this happening?? please any explanation??

seriously, i have been doing my itunes library for 2 hours now, and i am no where near the finish line!!! WHY THE @#!# is it always duplicating it self?? this only happen in some of the music folder that i am adding into itunes, but sometimes it's fine.. then what i mention above about not having the right amount of music.. WHY is it so hard get thing sorted out in itunes?!?!? i have came to love my mac and now i am totally upset with it.... :( any idea or hint anyone???

I'm not on my mac now, but I think under "advanced" in the menu bar there's a "check for duplicate songs" selection. It will isolate the duplicates so you can see them more easily. Also, if you have 740 in the folder and only 640 go into iTunes, make sure the other 100 aren't .wmv files, or some random kind of file that iTunes can't read.

Barricuda

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wow... Meebo is cool.... learning something new from here everyday :)

I had the same problem as the OP has mentioned below. I added my music files to itunes and some of them were duplicating in the library (although I had only one copy)... sometimes it even duplicated by appending '1' to the duplicate file. I wasn't able to find any pattern on which files were getting duplicated... and it took me a couple of days using the "Find duplicate songs" option in iTunes to manually delete all the duplicate stuff from the library. Any ideas why this happens

DNH

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Halifax, NS, Canada
Check out your iTunes Music folder

With respect to the adding of 38 songs to iTunes --> 56, I suspect you have iTunes set to copy files to the iTunes Music folder. I don't know why this is the default behavior in iTunes, but if you look under the Advanced tab in Preferences for iTunes, you should see a checkbox for 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library'. Uncheck it, unless you want that. I suspect this is why you're getting duplicates. I also suspect that some of the mp3 files are not readable by iTunes for some reason (are they all mp3, or other formats?). iTunes currently has some file formats that are not supported, including ogg and wma (I believe).

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
Sorry to piggy back,

I'm going to buy my first Mac ever in about half an hour. MBP 2.53GHz. Anyway,, my college uses Office 07, so to be able to view all the notes the teachers post will I need to get Office for Mac? Or can I get iWork with Pages?

Thanks all

If the formatting is pretty straightforward, and you don't do a lot of track changes, Go with iWork. But if it absolutely needs to look the same, go with office. iwork will open the files though!

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
AppCleaner does the same and is FREE.

thanks, will be downloading that in a moment... :)

Sorry to piggy back,

Thanks all

after using mac office 2008, i would say don't waste your money.. :) i find all the functions in it are no where near MS office 2007. my solution now is to use bootcamp for office 2007 or i think iwork should work better with apple products..

Wow... Meebo is cool.... learning something new from here everyday :)

I had the same problem as the OP has mentioned below. I added my music files to itunes and some of them were duplicating in the library (although I had only one copy)... sometimes it even duplicated by appending '1' to the duplicate file. I wasn't able to find any pattern on which files were getting duplicated... and it took me a couple of days using the "Find duplicate songs" option in iTunes to manually delete all the duplicate stuff from the library. Any ideas why this happens

I think i figured out what was the problem.. I am pretty sure my problem is from those m3u files!! i think this m3u files are so form of music playlist and when i drag them along with other musics to itunes, it will make another copy of those song because of the m3u.. my solution was to delete every m3u files in my mac... :) hope this helps.. took me 7hours to get my music library done yesterday!

I'm not on my mac now, but I think under "advanced" in the menu bar there's a "check for duplicate songs" selection. It will isolate the duplicates so you can see them more easily. Also, if you have 740 in the folder and only 640 go into iTunes, make sure the other 100 aren't .wmv files, or some random kind of file that iTunes can't read.

they aren't any wmv files in that folder, i did i search.. :) i dunno why, but i am learning to live without those 100songs... less trouble, more happier!! :D

With respect to the adding of 38 songs to iTunes --> 56, I suspect you have iTunes set to copy files to the iTunes Music folder. I don't know why this is the default behavior in iTunes, but if you look under the Advanced tab in Preferences for iTunes, you should see a checkbox for 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library'. Uncheck it, unless you want that. I suspect this is why you're getting duplicates. I also suspect that some of the mp3 files are not readable by iTunes for some reason (are they all mp3, or other formats?). iTunes currently has some file formats that are not supported, including ogg and wma (I believe).

this is due to the m3u file i mentioned before..

Thanks for the help peoples!! :) alright alright.. next set of questions.. :p

1) so i accidentally opened up lot's and lot's of folder while transfering my music last night.. like literally 50-70folders, do i have to command+w for all of them or is there a shortcut?? just for furture purposes.. :) i had to pressed command+w for 50times last night twice(did the same mistake again)

2) i am really looking for those simple shortcut that could make my life easier on my mac.. :)

3) is there a faster way to download dashboard widget?? i am finding it annoying to download widget from apple.com.. :eek:

4) is firefox much better than safari?? i am considering doing the swap.. ;)

5) must i get vlc to watch other video codec?? or is it possible to actually download the codec to quicktime?

6) i know this is silly, but does the magsafe charger gets looser once the macbook is fully charged?? or is it just me imagining things?? :cool:

7) still don't quite get the difference between duplicate and copy.. :( sorry..

that's about it... sorry for having soooooo many questions at once.. and thanks alot for all the help and support given.. and it's great to know this thread is helping others as well, or at least it doesn't make me feel alone..

THANKS ALL, APPRECIATE IT!!

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
ANOTHER QUESTION(from me):
on mac air's, you can pitch the icons on the desktop to increase/decrease the size, how do you do this on the new macbooks?.

Also in windows i can see what programs are open by looking at the taskbar and clicking, is there a way in OSX? Im using spaces, so i do the 4 finger scroll down, and all the open appz appear. is there another way?

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
just an additional adding.. :)

8) is it possible to have email push into my mail account?? i notice that i need to have mail open in order to get mail..

i have to say today with my mac, i feel like i am soo good with it.. :)

really thanks a lot to all the people that have helped in the transaction to mac!! love all of you guys!!

from here on i guess i just have to do some more discovery!! :p

BayouBengal

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Houston,TX
just an additional adding.. :)

8) is it possible to have email push into my mail account?? i notice that i need to have mail open in order to get mail..

i have to say today with my mac, i feel like i am soo good with it.. :)

really thanks a lot to all the people that have helped in the transaction to mac!! love all of you guys!!

from here on i guess i just have to do some more discovery!! :p

Even if you click the Red X in the corner it's still running, just in the background. You should hear a ding when email arrives. Just set it up to check email at certain intervals.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
*.m3u does cause duplicates!

I agree that the file duplication is probably due to the fact that there are m3u's in the folders you are adding to iTunes. While I am new to the Mac OS (just got a alu macbook last week) the same type of thing would happen with the windoze version of iTunes. I always make sure I delete the m3u from the folder berfore adding.

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Even if you click the Red X in the corner it's still running, just in the background. You should hear a ding when email arrives. Just set it up to check email at certain intervals.

yup.. i notice that.. but when it comes to pressing cmd+tab there will be a lot of icon to select from.. :) doesn't that make it hard seeing 10/20 of icons.. :p

I am using the aluminum macbook and i notice that when i use the 4 fingers to use switch applications(swipe left/right) and two fingers to scroll, but i can't click it?? i always have press enter after scrolling to the right one. any shortcut there? :)

and if possible someone answer that previous not answered 7 questions?

thank you

Snakel3ite

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Minnesota
Concerning the 4 finger swipe/ 2 finger scroll through prgms.. Just tap-to-click (if that is your setting [Preferences > Trackpad > check. Tap-to-click]) OR just click the button. It doesn't matter where your mouse pointer is, matter o fact I don't think you can see a mouse pointer while scrolling thru prgms.

That should answer your one question

luggles

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
2) i am really looking for those simple shortcut that could make my life easier on my mac.. :)
http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/10/mac-101-56-useful-mac-shortcuts.html

http://www.usingmac.com/2007/11/21/mac-os-x-leopard-200-productivity-booster-hotkeys

4) is firefox much better than safari?? i am considering doing the swap.. ;)

Firefox has its benefits, mainly its add ons. I use both safari and firefox everyday i find that the best solution. (I also prefer how firefox displays rss)

5) must i get vlc to watch other video codec?? or is it possible to actually download the codec to quicktime?

Perian adds support to quicktime for more formats - http://perian.org/
Flip for Mac adds wmv support to quicktime (useful for the odd website u stumble upon that uses wmv) - http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

6) i know this is silly, but does the magsafe charger gets looser once the macbook is fully charged?? or is it just me imagining things?? :cool:
My battery is on 100% and the magsafe feels exactly the same as it usually does.

7) still don't quite get the difference between duplicate and copy.. :( sorry..

Copy adds the file selected to your clipboard, so you can then paste to a different place. Duplicate skips that step and copies the file straight to the folder or location of the original file.

Also if you don't already have it, i highly recomend Quicksilver: http://blacktree.com/?quicksilver , i use it as an application launcher - but it has many more uses that i have never gotten round to try out.

Xslimmer is also good for laptops, which don't have multiple drives to waste space. It cuts all the powerpc and foreign language files from apps, shrinking them in size. I think iTunes goes from 130mb to 30 - http://www.xslimmer.com/

EricJD

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Is there a way to view info for multiple files at once? For example, I want to select 12 files and see what their combined file size is. You can easily do this in Windows, but in Mac OS it simply opens a separate info window for each file...

Also, I tried Perian for videos, and it seems to work, but there's no audio when I play an xvid-encoded AVI...

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/10/mac-101-56-useful-mac-shortcuts.html

http://www.usingmac.com/2007/11/21/mac-os-x-leopard-200-productivity-booster-hotkeys

Firefox has its benefits, mainly its add ons. I use both safari and firefox everyday i find that the best solution. (I also prefer how firefox displays rss)

Perian adds support to quicktime for more formats - http://perian.org/
Flip for Mac adds wmv support to quicktime (useful for the odd website u stumble upon that uses wmv) - http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

My battery is on 100% and the magsafe feels exactly the same as it usually does.

Copy adds the file selected to your clipboard, so you can then paste to a different place. Duplicate skips that step and copies the file straight to the folder or location of the original file.

Also if you don't already have it, i highly recomend Quicksilver: http://blacktree.com/?quicksilver , i use it as an application launcher - but it has many more uses that i have never gotten round to try out.

Xslimmer is also good for laptops, which don't have multiple drives to waste space. It cuts all the powerpc and foreign language files from apps, shrinking them in size. I think iTunes goes from 130mb to 30 - http://www.xslimmer.com/

thanks a lot.. :) your input is very much appreciated!!! :) i will take a look at your recommendations.. :)

so is there any answers to my first question.. :p
1) so i accidentally opened up lot's and lot's of folder while transfering my music last night.. like literally 50-70folders, do i have to command+w for all of them or is there a shortcut?? just for furture purposes.. i had to pressed command+w for 50times last night twice(did the same mistake again)

install windows vista via boot camp today, i have to say how great the MAC OS X is in comparison to windows!! after that long installation, i had to update, restart, update again, restart again, and again and again(for around about 10times!!!) god, i love my mac very much now!! :) after installing vista, msn messenger and office 2007, i have already used up 21GB!!! can't believe it.. :mad:

EricJD: i got the answer for you!! :) hold down on option then select show inspector.. done.. :)

additional question: i am using adium at the moment, and i am receiving lots of spam message from it? is it from adium?? i am finding it very annoying. never had that problem when i was using msn messenger..

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
i just found the answer to my question.. thanks to the short cut link you gave me! :) ⌘ + ⌥ + W = Close all windows!! tried it, works perfectly!!

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
hey guys. another quick question about adium??? so i have been using it for a few days now and i want to know if i am the only one receiving lots of spam message from them?? back then when i am on msn messenger, spam message only occur occassionally.. but now with adium it's like every 15-30minutes? anyidea?

it's always:

Msn is being so dumb. I cant start my cam for some reason. message my other msn nikki.flores2878@hotmail.com and I can send a request to you on that name instead. xoxo

and always from someone with @live.com

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Really interesting reading this thread!

Ordered my macbook on the 14th and have just been looking for a thread like this while im still waiting for it.

Bit concerned I've used windows too long to make the switch but after reading this theres now hope lol

Neil

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Really interesting reading this thread!

Ordered my macbook on the 14th and have just been looking for a thread like this while im still waiting for it.

Bit concerned I've used windows too long to make the switch but after reading this theres now hope lol

Neil

welcome to mac, neil.. i am loving my mac very much now, and i guess you will to.. make sure you play with the trackpad preferences in system preferences.. i find it helped alot.. :)

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
This thread has restored my faith in humanity. :D

Attachments

• 1220713032439.jpg
    1220713032439.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 49

tongteh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
just found this website and i felt compel to show it to all new mac users!!!

click here i am sure a lot of people will find it useful. :)

and please someone answer my question about adium in a few post back? please.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.