My First Mini Just Arrived

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by whodini, Aug 12, 2011.

1. whodini macrumors newbie

I purchased my first MM last week and it arrived this afternoon. Luckily all of my upgrades arrived earlier this week - 1TB WD Scorpio Blue, bottom cable from MacParts, and 2x4GB RAM.

Question - Do people recommend I boot it up out of the box, run through the setup, and then install everything - or should I not even bother and just do all the hardware upgrades first?

2. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

If it were just ram, I'd say do it first. But you are going to be doing a lil more dissasembly to add the hdd; you might want to be sure that the mini arrived in working condition before getting to deep into the guts and needing to troubleshoot later without being confident that the mm is a good one factory fresh. imo

4. Vermifuge macrumors 6502a

Vermifuge

best advice ever...

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This. Boot it up and make sure it works. Otherwise if you do your upgrades, try and boot, and it fails, you have no idea if it was a factory problem or if the upgrades that caused a problem.

6. whodini thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Got everything up and running. Now waiting the 10 or so hours for my iTunes library to transfer over.