Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
What I am seeing that I do not like is with the smart cover on my iPad 2.

With the smart cover closed and thus the iPad asleep, while walking with it in hand, the jarring motion of my steps causes the iPad to wake/sleep a lot. I can hear the iPad making the sleep sound every few steps.

The magnets may not be strong enough.

Anyone else noticed this?

Other than this minor issue...I love this thing!

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA

With the smart cover closed and thus the iPad asleep, while walking with it in hand, the jarring motion of my steps causes the iPad to wake/sleep a lot. I can hear the iPad making the sleep sound every few steps.

You're walking too hard... :cool:

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

You are not walking the right way.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

I actually wish the magnets were a bit stronger myself. Also that they had designed it so that when it's folded behind that it sticks strongly to the back instead of flapping loose .

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011

543.jpg

That is a complaint about the cover... not the iPad 2 itself :)

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I don't know how you're holding it, but I don't have that problem. I mean I have noticed it once or twice.. but yeah. You can turn off the setting for auto sleep/wake...

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
If you turn it around and hold it with the hinge in your palm, it will move around less at the magnet end and that won't happen hardly at all.

I was having that problem too. :)

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
No offense but your thread title is misleading. This is not a complaint about the iPad 2, but rather a complaint about the SmartCover.

Anyway, you can always turn off the "auto lock/unlock" thing in the settings if it bothers you, but to be honest it's the only useful thing the SmartCover really offers.

The entire thing is a complete gimmick and I would rather use my iPad without any protection.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I actually wish the magnets were a bit stronger myself. Also that they had designed it so that when it's folded behind that it sticks strongly to the back instead of flapping loose .

They are already using 31 magnets to make the thing work (SmartCover and iPad combined), and you want them to use even more? They definitely can't use stronger magnets.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
No offense but your thread title is misleading. This is not a complaint about the iPad 2, but rather a complaint about the SmartCover.

Anyway, you can always turn off the "auto lock/unlock" thing in the settings if it bothers you, but to be honest it's the only useful thing the SmartCover really offers.

The entire thing is a complete gimmick and I would rather use my iPad without any protection.

+1. Especially since the SmartCover doesn't come with the iPad 2 and is an optional accessory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.