Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
Wow the T2i did a great job of recording the area while moving. The stock lens is great. How many hours did you put into this video? I would try to get still shots of you walking towards the camera as if you were coming to kick our ass, since the video is about you being fed-up and all. It’s very creative. Where did you shoot the video?
I’m getting into video as well. So far I’ve started out using a point and click camera. I do demo motorcycle rides. I’m having a blast doing film. I think I want to go back to school and learn more

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
The only thing I would mention is that your camera is still too shaky... I know you wanna make it seem handheld, but the handheld look is not achieved with a handheld camera, it's actually achieved in either post og with a relaxed steady.
You should look into making a cheap steady, it'll make a huge difference and for the shots that are supposed to be tight, get a nice camera stand :)

Apart from that, you're on the right track. I still marvel sometimes at what people can manage to pull off with this little camera. If only there was some nice useable way of doing focus on the camera :S

Here's a couple of my own work. In order to achieve the results we used:
- 5D Mkii (dunno what you guys in the US call it)
- A homebuild two hand steadycam (the one with two tubes in a t-section)
- A sturdy manfrotto camera stand
- 100mm 2.8L
- 70-200mm 2.8L
- 24-70mm 2.8L
- Post was done in After Effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLTQ0djEMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2gcLPED2c

At some points you can even see where the handheld steady wasn't enough for post to stabilize the shot.

But the most important tool you can train, is yourself. Tighten up those abs, they will serve you well in your quest to keep the camera still. Next part would be to strengthen your arms and shoulders.
I can't stress this enough as having to hold out the camera horizontally from your chest a whole day will put an insane strain on your body.

Keep up the good work!

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
This was filmed with a T2i with the stock lens. Edited by me as well. Let me know what you guys think. Constructive criticism is welcome... also this is my first video. So any tips would help out alot.

Thanks

Be careful with the effects you use. It almost seems that you are using certain effects just because you can. Every effect should be motivated and not just dropped in there so there is something.

I do agree also that the handheld look is too shakey. Try using the smooth cam filter in FCP. That could help a bit too.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
The only thing I would mention is that your camera is still too shaky... I know you wanna make it seem handheld, but the handheld look is not achieved with a handheld camera, it's actually achieved in either post og with a relaxed steady.
You should look into making a cheap steady, it'll make a huge difference and for the shots that are supposed to be tight, get a nice camera stand :)

Apart from that, you're on the right track. I still marvel sometimes at what people can manage to pull off with this little camera. If only there was some nice useable way of doing focus on the camera :S

Here's a couple of my own work. In order to achieve the results we used:
- 5D Mkii (dunno what you guys in the US call it)
- A homebuild two hand steadycam (the one with two tubes in a t-section)
- A sturdy manfrotto camera stand
- 100mm 2.8L
- 70-200mm 2.8L
- 24-70mm 2.8L
- Post was done in After Effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mLTQ0djEMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2gcLPED2c

At some points you can even see where the handheld steady wasn't enough for post to stabilize the shot.

But the most important tool you can train, is yourself. Tighten up those abs, they will serve you well in your quest to keep the camera still. Next part would be to strengthen your arms and shoulders.
I can't stress this enough as having to hold out the camera horizontally from your chest a whole day will put an insane strain on your body.

Keep up the good work!

Wow, you're videos are sick. Really done nice. But I bet you didn't do it all alone. Did you use professional lighting? And make-up? Green screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.