My First night in college and i am so scared Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by italiano40, Aug 20, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

can you remember your first day of college, i am at SUNY Old westbury and i have already made one friend, any advice to a freshman

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Put down the computer and go and meet some real live human people :)

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Ages ago, in 1979, but yeah, at the community college. First class of the day, was botany. Loved it. ;)

Second the advice. But above all, make the most of your time.

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

+1

dude now is the time to pick up hot freshman chicks, go have some fun man!

5. mcnees287 macrumors newbie

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Get to know your neighbors in the dorm, and enjoy the student orientation activities they do. Find campus groups that are of interest to you, and join them, you can always leave later, but you get to meet new people and get to network.

I remember my first day, and boy was I scared. But then again, it was a different state ... and a different country :D

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

There are probably a thousand other freshman who feel the same as you do. Go out and meet people, walk around your dorm or find the campus bar. HAVE FUN!

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for real

college is fun, there is no reason to be scared

i wish i was back in school

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Meet other people in the dorm. Find some people who have been there awhile and get to know them. My neighbor in the dorms my first semester at college had been there 7 years (undergrad and grad school) and I got to know him and he was a great source of advice on just about anything related to college.

And I cannot stress this enough, keep the door to your dorm open during the day. It's another great way to meet people. There were some people living on my floor, who after a year, I didn't even know because they kept their door shut.

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Go check out the girls, maybe you'll come back with one ;).

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Great advice, and it works. :)

12. shecky Guest

shecky

really excellent advice. i would also suggest, no matter how stupid it may seem, if your RA asks everyone to come out together for dinner, or to play softball, or whatever... DO IT. do NOT be the odd man out who did not go to all the dumb group stuff in the first few days.

remember that 98% of the new freshmen feel EXACTLY the same way you do. go talk to them. now. turn off the computer. now. go.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is great advice. Good luck and enjoy!

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Join in with everything.
    You'll make your friends after the orientation week is over when everything settles down so just have fun now with as many people as possible.
    Keep your door open when you're in your room.

You'll be fine, the first week is always the hardest because it's new and it's so different to all the other weeks that will follow. Just make sure you do as much stuff as you can in the first week so you get your face out there.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I was in a college transfer program from high school and the first class I took, which counted for credit, as opposed to a summer camp at the college, was not only "college", but it was the first time I met a girl and had a serious girlfriend.

When I look back at it, I don't know if college was more scary with the extra workload over high school, or getting my first girlfriend on that same day. I think the other stuff besides college, like dating, being independent, mingling with older people, are what is what is hard to master. The college part, with midterms and finals, is actually the easier part for most people.

In high school, the teachers are usually lecturing to you in a very set format. In college, many professors will have you contribute to the class (socratic method) and to make matters worse, will even have lunch with you from time to time. Some will insist on being called by their first names, and at times, they will ask "advice" from you. This is all very different than high school in general and while it can be liberating, it can also be scary.

Don't expect to click with this adult existence right away. But it will shadow the rest of the real world far more accurately than high school did. Once you get past the initial culture shock, if you are like most people, you will have fonder memories of college.

16. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

What is so scary about it?

I am not always the best at making friends, so it took me a few weeks to really meet people. I developed habits of spending a lot of time outdoors, biking around, walking around, and discovering all of the parts of campus. Gave me great exercise, a way to relax, and I got to know all of the short cuts. Then I met people through classes a week or two in and formed some groups of friends.

It was never scary to me, but then again I'm an introvert so being alone doesn't bother me much.

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

If you've ever dreamed about re-inventing yourself, now is the time. Be the person you've always wanted to be. You'll never get an opportunity like this again. Challenge yourself and your fears. Get out there and have fun!

18. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

thank you all for your replies the biggest thing that scares me is that i have no roommate as of now, and i met a couple of people and am getting a lil less scared, but still scared, i have done all activities that they setup for us.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Keep going. Go have a massive night.

20. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I don't remember my first day but I do remember the classes I had. Thankfully I had my first class with one of my best friends so that helped a lot. I don't believe I've made any friends since being in college actually, most of the people are a lot older and women (being in MIT, there are only about 3 guys in the entire program).

21. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

What's real scary is that once you figure out how much fun is available (just say hello), the fact that you only have to answer to yourself, you're gonna have a hard time keeping your day job as a student.. By and large, the teachers don't care if you read assignments every night, as long as you can reproduce the material on tests. You have to keep up with the assignments on your own. Also, try to get into a sport. Physical activity will keep you centered. In retrospect, this is the most selfish time you'll have as an adult-in-raining. Enjoy!

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Great advice! :)

True.

Yep!

23. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Enjoy your college experience and try to take some fun classes. I wish I lived on campus, I think my college experience would be different but I still enjoy going to school. I dread going into the real world.

24. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

Yes....find the hottest chick out there and ask her if she would be interested in a life of luxury and deceit. If so, send her to Denny Crane!

25. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

GREAT ADVICE

More great advice

And you've already done another thing I was going to suggest: do all the cheesy orientation activities. They are cheesy, but they really work to help people get to know each other and feel more comfortable.