My first open-heart surgery on a MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evillageprowler, Feb 10, 2008.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to owning and using Apple stuff; my wife owns a MB C2D 2.0GHz and I just own an IPT16G. My wife doesn't really let me use her MB, so my experience with Mac's is pretty limited.

My wife does a lot of video editing on her MB and constantly has to transfer her projects to her PC's shared drive. It's quite annoying to her always to be so tight on disk space, so I bought her a 250G internal disk as an upgrade.

This afternoon, I decided to embark on the project. I got her notebook, her Tiger discs and other gadgetry. Replacing the disk was easy via the instructions from iFixit. I then loaded the Tiger discs and was easily able to format the new disk and load the OS. It took some time, but that's to be expected. Near the end, it even asked me if I wanted to transfer information from another disk. I attached the original 80G disk via USB and the transfer program proceeded to move all sorts of data from the old to the new disk.

Everything was so easy... I was able to replicate my wife's account and all her installed programs and data. Easy as pie...

Gotta love :apple:

:)

Next weekend -- upgrade to Leopard and then use a 500G external Simpletech drive for TM.

EVP

2. apple90 macrumors member

Congrats

May I ask HOW IN THE WORLD you connected the internal 80GB HD with a USB?

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

External enclosure...not to unfathomable.

4. tsincaat macrumors member

Congrats mate.

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Man I wish the MBP's had a user-replaceable drive.. Anyway - nice one mate! Glad everything went smoothly.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

It aint to hard just make sure you dont screw something up as it'll void your
    warranty

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

1. Enclosures.
    2. You can actually buy PATA/SATA --> USB adapters. Very nifty when you don't want to screw around with the enclosures.

8. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all... Yeah, it wasn't hard at all doing the physical stuff. Everything was well laid-out and the instructions on iFixit was clear and accurate. The software piece was surprisingly (for me, a relative Mac noob) painless too.

As for connecting the original 80G disk to the MB, I used some gadget that has all sorts of external connectors for all types of possibilities. I'm at work now, but I'll post the exact gadget that I used when I have a free moment tonight.

EVP

9. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Congrats! It's very simple to upgrade computers by reading the manual if your not sure.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Congrats it is a very easy computer to upgrade ram and hd wise.

FYI

You could've made it slightly easier and probably quicker for yourself if you followed this procedure.

Install drive
    Connect old internal to the computer
    Hold down option at start and boot from the external drive
    Then use disk utility to format the internal drive
    Then use Superduper/CCC to clone the external to the internal.

11. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

xUKHCx: thx; will try that next time... Is superduper/ccc part of the std os distro? and, will it make the other drive a bootable drive?

EVP

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Super Duper (SD) or Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) are available via DL:

Super Duper

Carbon Copy Cloner

SD and CCC will make a bootable clone.

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Whould'nt this work also?

put new drive in enclosure
    copy over os
    boot from external
    if ok swap

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

thanks for clearing it up

Yes it would and is perhaps the more prudent way of doing it, and in fact is the way I will be recommending it in the future as well as following myself.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to help. :)

I see both ways as being viable.

However, I would agree. It does seem best to clone to an external, that way if the clone doesn't work or the hard drive is bad, you can still use the laptop as a laptop without something hanging from it.

16. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

SATA/IDE to USB adapter

For those who asked, the adapter I used to connect my original 80G disk to the MB via USB is by Vantec, model CB-ISATAU2. It supports 2.5", 3.5" and 5.25" IDE/SATA drives. According to the packaging, it currently supports up to 500G -- including ATA/ATAPI-7 and LBA-48. It cost me under $50 (I truly forget the amount) from Cyberguys.com.

It works like a charm on XP and Tiger. I suspect it'll work fine on Linux, but I haven't had a need to try yet. I had a problem getting it to work on Vista, but I never tried to see if loading drivers or whatnot would've helped. (It probably can be made to work with a small amount of effort, but I truly despise Vista and try to avoid it like the plague.)

This is the best sub-$50 I ever spent...

EVP