My first popup!

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
I just had my first pop-up ad on my iBook since my switch 9 months ago! I'm using Firefox, and lo and behold I switched pages and there was an Applebee's click through ad!

And I think I was surfing around MacRumors when it happened!

Anyone else get pop-ups? ...or not?

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
i've been getting popups for the past couple of days. i forget which sites though. i'm using safari

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
This has been happening to me for weeks.

I've gone from one every now and then to leaving Safari and having 20 pop-unders left behind.

Evidently, advertiser-scumcoders have figured a way around the blocking code.

Ready for a fix anytime.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Never gotten a pop-up using Firefox, yet...

There has been a lot of pop-unders plaguing Safari users the last month or so, though, so maybe the ad programmers are getting better... :(

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
For a whole year and a half I hadn't had a single popup on my powebook. But now in Safari they started about a month ago. I only get about 2 per day and that pisses me off. I can't imagine how the pc users feel :p

ldburroughs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Never gotten a pop-up using Firefox, yet...

There has been a lot of pop-unders plauging Safari users the last month or so, though, so maybe the ad programmers are getting better... :(
I get popups now and then and it generally happens when I visit a Mac themed site. I don't get any on this site but on some of the other Mac forum sites I see them from time to time. I'm using Safari. I don't get any using IE on my desktop while vising the same sites. The latest upgrade in Windows has effectively blocked all popups, even those you may want. You get a little notice at the top that will allow you to permit the popup. Is there anything like this for Safari? I personally like using Safari because it is what came with my computer and I really don't care for Firefox but I may consider it if this continues. Any suggestions?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The technology to defeat pop-up ad blockers has been around for almost a year, and has recently started to be widely used. I'd imagine a developer over on Firefox/Mozilla is making it a priority to figure out how it works, and will find a way to block those as well - at least that's what I'm hoping. :D

skunk_pb17

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2005
in a dark cave ;)
yeah... a pop-up is something that can really ruin your day :rolleyes:
most of the time i get them from smiley something, but it doesnt work for mac anyway :confused: hope apple fixes it.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Like many of you, I've been experiencing pop-ups for about a month now with Safari. Fairly rare, but still annoying.

And I'm still on Jaguar. Even if Apple comes out with a fix, it'll probably be only for Panther/Tiger.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Every time I get a pop-up in Safari, I submit a bug report to Apple. It takes two seconds, and the more they hear the complaints, hopefully the higher priority the fix will become.

OnaMacSince1989

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
ldburroughs said:
I get popups now and then and it generally happens when I visit a Mac themed site. I don't get any on this site but on some of the other Mac forum sites I see them from time to time. I'm using Safari. I don't get any using IE on my desktop while vising the same sites. The latest upgrade in Windows has effectively blocked all popups, even those you may want. You get a little notice at the top that will allow you to permit the popup. Is there anything like this for Safari? I personally like using Safari because it is what came with my computer and I really don't care for Firefox but I may consider it if this continues. Any suggestions?
There isn't currently an option to say 'yes' to a blocked pop-up, but if you are going to a page where you need to allow a pop up (like certain chat rooms), you can turn off the pop-up blocker temporarily and then turn it back on after the needed pop up appears.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
OnaMacSince1989 said:
There isn't currently an option to say 'yes' to a blocked pop-up, but if you are going to a page where you need to allow a pop up (like certain chat rooms), you can turn off the pop-up blocker temporarily and then turn it back on after the needed pop up appears.
That would be a good new feature for safari--like a control-click (or alt-click), to allow a pop-up.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
I was pop-up free since my iMac purchase in Jan. but the past week or so I've gotten about half a dozen. I use firefox, but haven't upgraded to the latest version yet...I wonder if this has something do with it?

allison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.