My first post!!! -macbook pro power adapter question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by titcharoony, Apr 13, 2011.

1. titcharoony macrumors newbie

Hi there! just joined this site as ive recently purchased a macbook pro 13 inch, from denmark courtesy of fleabay - the owner states it wont turn on but hasnt tried anything as yet as has just bought a new mac anyway. I'm intending to check battery, leads etc...But my main issue is the Danish plug on the end of my adapter. I cant get a converter so i need a new lead..Question is, do i require a new lead just from the plug to the 'brick' transformer thingy? Or a new brick and plug lead? The brick currently states 60W magsafe. Thanks everyone! oh, and im in the UK. ;)

2. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

the "brick" acts as a power transformer. you can use it anywhere in the world and it won't damage your laptop. so to answer your question, you just need a plug adapter.

3. Gee macrumors 65816

How much did you pay for a computer that won't turn on? Chances are it's broken, right?

4. titcharoony thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, you're a star. Any ideas on what to check in regards to why it wont power up? Only info I've got so far is that apparently, theres no lights or beeps, just appears dead. It was manufactured in 2009, i think mid 2009 according to the model - if i remember the macbook pros had motherboard issues (problems with graphics cards?) pre-2009 - so im hoping its not the logic board. might be a power problem, or perhaps battery..........any tips?

5. titcharoony thread starter macrumors newbie

i paid precious little, even ones with complete logic board failures i see are going for twice what i paid for this. So worst case scenario, the logic board is dead, and i'll re sell it on ebay with problem outlined. Worth a punt tho eh? I've seen ads for logic board repairs on various sites, but im never sure about them. If i think right, sometimes logic boads can be repaired, but 99% of the time, theyre only worthy for the bin.

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

no, sorry... i'm not very good with hardware. i'd suggest google or the apple support pages, they might have advice.

assuming the battery is ok then it must be a problem with the logic board. weren't the 2009 macbooks given an extended warranty because of the problems with the nvidia graphics chip?