My First Push Notification! From AP

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Fe1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Fe1 macrumors regular

Suddenly, I heard this strange sound coming from the iPhone, turned it over, to briefly read an AP "Breaking News" story about the Iranian situation. The message appeared "transparently" over my locked wallpaper page.

My first reaction? "Yikes".

Don't get me wrong. I like the IDEA of push notifications, but like another poster mentioned in another thread, if that's what happens every time, it'll be a pain with each app constantly bleeping, vibrating, and updating.

2. paulcdb macrumors regular

then turn it off :rolleyes:

if you dont want an app to push stuff to you then don't turn it on. Do we really need to whine about every little thing that annoys you?

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Also, if you want to be updated, but don't want to be alerted, then just turn off the sounds and leave badges and alerts on.

4. Fe1 thread starter macrumors regular

Paul, this is a very rude post. Given that we are all in virgin territory with app push notifications, I thought sharing my first reaction might give people a foretaste of the instant reactions we each of us had, at that moment. It's an historical thing, more than a whining thing, so please move along if you don't like my post.

5. Fe1 thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed. The problem is that if you don't have a sound, it sorta kinda defeats the purpose of having an instant notification of a potentially important message. Well, at least to my mind.

Anyone else out there get their first push notification? What is your reaction?

6. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I dont get its push at all... they push you a story then when you open the app, you cant find wtf they were talking about. It should open right to that story.

7. Fe1 thread starter macrumors regular

I had the same reaction! I tapped the notification, and pfft it disappeared, with no redirection. Clearly, when the home page is locked due to disuse (with that setting activated) it's basically a random heads up, and nothing more.

After the 3GS hoopla, I'm glad that Apple are taking it nice and slow to get the kinks sorted out. We'll see what happens.

8. gheilner macrumors newbie

haha I think I got the same one! I thought it was pretty cool, I have my phone on vibrate, so it just shook a little and I checked it out. not too intrusive to me...but I cant understand your worries if there are 15 apps with puch all going off at once!

9. jman800 macrumors regular

Its always the same complaint.

"These are going to be soo annoying! eee!"

Settings>Notifications>OFF.

That easy. With this setting here, Don't complain about future Apps being annoying. This is a pointless complaint.

10. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

The push notifications for the AP app are a complete joke. About once a day, they'll push some random headline. The one I got this morning was about who won the US Open. When I go to the app, I can't even find the story that was in the notification. And, there's no way to configure what types of headlines get pushed to me. The whole thing is more of a novelty than an actual useful feature.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:confused::confused:

WTF?

You just said you didn't like the noise, now you say it's necessary...

Just turn push off, obviously you can't see any good in it. It's worthless for you.

12. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I just really wish it would take me to the story it was talking about... if it intrigues me i wanna see it... not search for it.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's an issue with the app, not inherit with Push (I believe).

14. Cuprous macrumors member

For those of you using this AP app, is anyone getting these notifications a few hours after the time given in the notification? With the few notifications I have gotten a few of them have been hours old. At best I have seen 15-20 min delay.

15. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Correct, AP isn't handling opening their app from their push properly, thus not opening the 'breaking news.'

16. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

This is particularly true when your phone is turned off. I woke up this morning, turned on and only had an icon badge, no clue as to what it was in reference to.

17. Branskins macrumors 65816

I kind of like how the app works, but does anyone think it is possible for AP to put a badge on the actual story in the app to show which stories were pushed?

18. adbe macrumors 6502a

I can't see why not. More likely such a feature would be implemented as a list of pushed stories, though.

19. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

I got like 4 pushes today from AP... so its working like it should.

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I actually got two pushes for the same thing today, so it's not without its kinks.

21. astrosaurus macrumors newbie

astrosaurus

I still haven't gotten any pushes. Downloaded the AP app, we'll see what happens. Kinda looking forward to it, ha.

22. Fe1 thread starter macrumors regular

I too received 4 pushes. Honestly, though, after the original push frisson, I haven't really paid attention to the actual AP stories.

23. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I've gotten four or five breaking news announcements from AP News today alone, which is cool. Though I do agree that the app should at least have the option to go to either a fully written story, or, since that's asking a lot, at least a repeat of the notification.

As for the OQ, my first reaction was "what the hell is that noise?!" :D But now I'm used to it, and since it's my only app with push enabled, it's all good.

24. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

there is in the settings of the app. you can move different items up the list so the top one is the most important and first to be pushed. i moved nfl news up to the top of mine, and thats all i get!

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Or, go buy a PRE, who's notification system is so far more advanced than the iPhone that there is really no comparison.

There needs to be a collection place for notifications where one can go in and look at ALL notifications from ALL apps, then click on the notification to go to the item in that app.

Makes too much sense I realize, but I digress...