My first screen saver

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ardchoille50, Jul 25, 2016.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I’ve created a custom analog clock screen saver based on Robert Padbury’s clock kit. My version works for my needs and I’m currently working on a version for retina screens. This screen saver works in OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan), but I'm not sure how well it will work in other versions of OS X. It's a small file and easy to setup, so there's no harm in trying it out.

The clock face and hands use png files and can be edited to create your own custom clock - I’ve included a GIMP template file in the zip archive for those who are familiar with GIMP. I’ve also included a ‘Read Me’ file that outlines how to use the screen saver.

Screenshot:
    Screenshot.jpg

Download (130 KB zip file) in attachment

Attached Files:

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

This is all I get in 10.11.4.

Attached Files:

3. ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

That is an artifact of Robert's original qtz file, I don't know how to correct that but it should fix itself after a couple seconds after the screen saver is activated.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    Here is a different type of clock face that demonstrates how easy it is to create custom faces. The outer circle of dots is the minutes and the inner circle of dots is the hours.

Screenshot (showing approx. 2:31 on the clock):
    Screenshot.jpg

Download (174 KB zip file) in attachment

Attached Files:

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

I left it for about a minute in preview mode and it didn't change sadly.

5. ardchoille50, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

ardchoille50 thread starter macrumors 68020

Try activating the screen saver itself.. I've found that this issue isn't as evident when the screen saver is activated. I'm trying to learn how to make my own screen saver in quart compositor (Xcode) so I can get rid of this issue altogether.

Edit: Just learned that it is Quarts Composer, not Quartz Compositor, and I've found some tutorials. I'll be working on making my own and hopefully get rid of the issue you're having.