Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I’ve created a custom analog clock screen saver based on Robert Padbury’s clock kit. My version works for my needs and I’m currently working on a version for retina screens. This screen saver works in OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan), but I'm not sure how well it will work in other versions of OS X. It's a small file and easy to setup, so there's no harm in trying it out.

The clock face and hands use png files and can be edited to create your own custom clock - I’ve included a GIMP template file in the zip archive for those who are familiar with GIMP. I’ve also included a ‘Read Me’ file that outlines how to use the screen saver.

Screenshot:
Screenshot.jpg

Download (130 KB zip file) in attachment

Attachments

• Analog Clock Saver.zip
    127 KB · Views: 338

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
This is all I get in 10.11.4.
That is an artifact of Robert's original qtz file, I don't know how to correct that but it should fix itself after a couple seconds after the screen saver is activated.
[doublepost=1469554333][/doublepost]Here is a different type of clock face that demonstrates how easy it is to create custom faces. The outer circle of dots is the minutes and the inner circle of dots is the hours.

Screenshot (showing approx. 2:31 on the clock):
Screenshot.jpg

Download (174 KB zip file) in attachment

Attachments

• Dots Clock Saver.zip
    169.7 KB · Views: 298

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 6, 2014
I left it for about a minute in preview mode and it didn't change sadly.
Try activating the screen saver itself.. I've found that this issue isn't as evident when the screen saver is activated. I'm trying to learn how to make my own screen saver in quart compositor (Xcode) so I can get rid of this issue altogether.

Edit: Just learned that it is Quarts Composer, not Quartz Compositor, and I've found some tutorials. I'll be working on making my own and hopefully get rid of the issue you're having.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.