My first *shocking* month iPhone 3GS bill - $357.23 Normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sevimli, Aug 1, 2009.

1. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Finally got mine first bill... I shocked when I saw that.

I do have family plan, 2 iphones and one regular line. I am new customer, ported all my old numbers. We got cheapest services, FamilyTalk 550min, pay per text, pay per use data etc. Even AT&T is not charging data plan for 2nd iPhone, they messed up something i guess, basically I do have only 1 iphone data, which is totally fine.

I placed my order through AT&T premier store, I enrolled my employee's FAN account, when I signed the contract (ie. submitting online order), it was showing $105.43 estimated monthly charges+taxes. It was ALSO showing all my FAN discounts etc.

Long story short, I got my first bill, it is $357.23 :eek::eek::eek:

I've never seen a bill that high in my life. I called AT&T, the CSR was just no sense whole 15 minutes. He was keep saying "it is prorated(!), everything is gonna be OK after first bill", etc. He even couldn't explain why in the hell I am paying for 5 lines!! While placing my online order 1 month back, their system wasn't able to port more than 1 line, at that time CSR told me just go ahead and place the order, and just port the other 2 numbers.

But CSR never told me that I would get charged for that 2 numbers even-though I didn't activated them, the same day I got my delivery I ported over my other 2 numbers.

Thanks AT&T...

2. bakerster macrumors regular

3. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I believe that includes the phone price. I know when I bought other phones from AT&T they charge the price of the phone on the first bill. It should be the right price next month (100-150).

We have a family plan. Two iPhone's and two piece of **** phones. Our bill is about $150-$170 a month.

4. iNoob3 macrumors member

5. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I paid $670. for the iphones long before my bill (2x32Gb).
    :(

6. chelc macrumors newbie

The first bill would have an activation fee for each line you activated. That would explain some of the bill.

7. bildio macrumors regular

I just got my first bill. I expected it to be high due to the activation fee (1 line in my case), but it was almost double what I expected. What I didn't expect was being charged for the coming month (in addition to the so called prorated charge for almost a full first month usage). The next bill should be in-line with what I expected to pay.

8. maryannee macrumors regular

lol. Ditto! The taxes added on to the monthly bill is a real eye opener.:eek:

9. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

You probably have a couple activation fees, you have no texting pkg. so im sure you are someone on your account was bound to text message so you have usage charges for that, also missing a data plan on one iphone which they probably used the internet to get an app etc. so you probably have usage charges for the internet. Leading to your bill.

10. jenzo macrumors member

att likes to charge for the first month of service and the next. you are always paying 1 month in advance. i hate this and have to explain to my boss every time a new phone is added to our corp acct. expect your next bill to be roughly half what this one is.

-jenzo

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

That was funny, how true lmao:D

12. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

i wish it was just the taxes, but even my service fees are way too much!

CSR wanted to waive my activation charges but he was like since the system didn't charge me, he cannot do anything. I paid $36+$26+$26, i did see all these charges, but he was like we didn't charge you. :cool:

The only and only reason I switched to AT&T was the iPhone, but now I am thinking about quitting it. :(

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yep, this is how it always works. First bill is always higher.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my first bill was in the high 100's for just my iphone on the lowest plan but with 1500 text

yours doesnt seem too far out of line

15. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Well since you can see what the charges are, why don't you tell us and we'll see it if sounds right??

16. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish I could but I have a bill that's 18pages long. It is the most complicated/sophisticated bill I ever saw.

It has charges and credits for that charges again again. :confused:

Let's see next month :)

BTW, I also see charges for July 28-August 28 as well. Does it mean no bill for 2nd month? :D

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Most all cell phone companies bill a month in advance, That is why there are prorations on your first bill. All of the charges are valid and should've been explained to you in the store. As long as there are no price plan changes there will be no prorations on your next bill. Trust me, I have to explain these kind of prorations to customers that call in everyday. If the rep you were talking to was confusing you, they weren't doing a good job at explaining it. When you receive your next bill, it will have charges for Aug. 28-Sept. 28.

18. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

19. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Wow, and it's just wow! I never expected a first bill that high :eek:

Mine's $70 ;)

20. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

it is true!, i got a blackberry curve, i pay the same thing for at&t for the iphone 3G S, ($40 for minutes, $30 Data Plan)

the total for the first month, was $270!

but the att representative, said they charge two months ahead! that's why its double of what you expect!!!!!!

21. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I'm shockproof as well, but mine is $95 for iPhone and another line, a regular sort of cell, no data.

22. iphonefreakz macrumors member

iphonefreakz

ouch.... thats a big phone bill.
    There are more people that are getting big bills for the iPhone, Like Adam Savage co-host of mythbuster, he got a iPhone bill of $11.000 ;)

23. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Sounds like have your account all messed up. I would talk to a manager or supervisor and have them clear up the mess.

I have my wife and her family on a family plan, 4 phones sharing 1400 min with only 1 iPhone and data package at $170.00 a month.

24. Reclaim3r macrumors regular

This is scary... I hope you get it worked out

25. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Scan or take a screenshot of your bill, white out all the account number bits and post it here. I've had AT&T for years, I know some other people have as well, maybe we can help.

The very first page of your bill (before the list of phone calls made, etc) breaks down all the charges: use charges, taxes, regular plan, etc.

If you don't know what I mean then later today I can post mine and walk you through it if that will help you.

And yes, AT&T CSRs are often nice but horrifically clueless.