My First Shot At Using Time Machine...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cababah, Jul 10, 2009.

1. cababah macrumors 68000

Ok so I have a few questions. I just bought a Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB to use with my Airport Extreme router.

Questions:

1) My computer says the Passport HDD has 460GB free. Why not 500? There is nothing on it so far?
    -Answered. Thanks MacDawg.

2) Do I have to use the Disk Utility program to re-format or erase anything to free up more space? If so, how do I do this? The Disk Utility program has so many options and it is sort of overwhelming and confusing.

I am a new Mac user and new to this whole "Time Machine" thing..do you guys back it up all the time or just turn Time Machine on once in a while to back up?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check out the Guide here at MR: Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

As far as Time Machine goes... just set it up and let it do its thing
    If you want more control you can use this: TimeMachineEditor

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

1. You never get a Gig for a Gig... there's overhead and the math involved breaks down. What it says is right.
    2. You do have to format it to HFS+ (Mac OS Journaled in disk utility) in order for Time Machine to use it. It might be already but I suggest doing it anyway.

Open Finder, Apps, Utilities, Disk Utility
    Select this disk - click erase, then erase free space - since it's just one big drive that should be all you need to do. Mac OS Extended should be selected by default in that window - if not, it should be.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3 if you're just using it for a Mac!

1. Open Disk Utility and click on the first mention of your external HDD in the left pane. That's the one farthest to the left, not the indented one.

2. Click the erase tab. Make up a snazzy name and set the format to Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

3. Hit erase.

If you want a Windows partition as well, I can tell you how to do that. It is a little more than 1 2 3, though.

5. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

What is with all those options when you plug it in...erase...erase free space..it is kind of confusing?

By "first mention" of my HD you mean there is like a tree to the left and there is a first mention and underneath that a second mention.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just say cancel to those messages. They'll go away once you've formatted the HDD.

That's what I'm saying. Click the topmost one that isn't a "branch."

7. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok so this is the option to erase EVERYTHING and clear the HD and format it for Mac right? What is the difference between extended case sensitive journaled and all those options?

8. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Yup, this erase everything. I couldn't tell you what the difference between them are, but I know that you want Mac OS Extended, Journaled.

9. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000