My First Tutorial: How to COMPLETELY clean your MM Including Scroll Wheel Assembly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by todd2000, Jul 17, 2007.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

My mighty mouse stopped scrolling up, and I tried most of the solutions found online, and they all helped somewhat, but I couldn't find a tutorial anywhere on how to disassemble the scroll wheel assembly and give it a through cleaning. So I made one :) Let me know what you think..... Does everything make sense, are my steps and pictures clear?

http://home.comcast.net/~tms2010

Hopefully this will help someone. And no comments about the web design, I haven't made a web page since the days of frames :)

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Lmao, drastic, but I like it.

I've already had Apple replace one of ours after the ball 'died'. I'm sure I could have followed your steps to 'repair' it, but where possible I think it's always worth a grumble to Apple a) to ensure they're fully aware of how stupid the design is and b) to maybe get a new replacement ;)

I should add that we have only had one go completely, out of about 12, but I still resent having to roll the things around upside down :D

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, but I figured I was out of warranty, so calling Apple would do no good. By all means don't do this if your still under warranty :)

4. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Wow. Kudos to you for all the work you put into this. :D

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah it was an all day process, but I was bored LOL :)

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I did this and bent some of the pins when I put the ring back on. So I just took it to the shops and got a new one under warranty. Said it was broken etc. which is true. I got a Gen 1 Bluetooth Mouse with all the right-click problems etc.

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe the first generations were different, but the only thing actually holding the ring to the mouse was glue. No clips

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I usually just take a damp paper towel and move the ball around with it.

My Mac is in the kitchen and my kids get all kinds of sticky crap all over it. It usually stops working about 3 or 4 times a week. The damp paper towel thing always seems to bring it back to life.

You must have some seriously hard core crap in their if you can't get it unstuck :D

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Thank you, a little drastic and I hope I never have to go that far but if I ever do . . . Mine sometimes stops scrolling down. I just do the rolling upside down trick. Luckily starting this fall I'll be living near the SoHo apple store so if it actually breaks I can get a new one.

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

And here I thought optical mice did away with all this cleaning shenanigans long ago...... :rolleyes: