My First Video With iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikeschmeee, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mikeschmeee macrumors 6502a

Hello fellow members,

I'm still new to this whole Mac world and I have learned a lot so far but still learning. I made my first movie last weekend with iMovie.

Take a look and tell me what you think. It's nothing special, I just filmed myself racing on GT5 Prologue (Can't wait for the full release!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZ_xwi6Juk

I filmed the main part with my Nikon D90, the pedal/feet were filmed with my fathers old Sony DCR-SR100 and I just saved the replay from my race and filmed it again with my Nikon D90 as I do not have a capture card :(

I've used Adobe Premiere Pro 2 on my Windows machine editing some clips of friends and I skateboarding and it was easier for me to understand then iMovie 09. I don't like it that much. Perhaps I need to get the hang of it but its weird using it in my opinion. The time line is awkward and the layout as well. I didn't poke around much as I was eager to completing the video. I recently purchased a Manfrotto Magic Arm so I will be mounting that onto my Prelude and going for a few runs once I install my new Mugen parts.

Anyways, enjoy... and please go easy on me :)

Cheers
    Thanks
    Mike

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I had no idea that such an awesome setup with real pedals and shifter was available for game consoles. That part of your video alone blew me away. Also, it looked like that wasn't your first time going around the track; nice full-body coordination.

Further, I'd say this was a solid first time effort with iMovie. I've used the program a half dozen times or so, and I was unaware that it could do the picture-in-picture bit that you're showing here. So, if you don't mind my asking, how is that done?

3. mikeschmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! I greatly appreciate your comment! :)
    Its a modified Logitech G25 with a 320mm MOMO Race steering wheel. Tighten up the feel of the shift stick so it seems heavier when shifting gears. I also took the pedals from the case it came in opened it up and flipped them upside down to give them a more realistic Japanese automotive feel :)
    Yes I've been practicing on Gran Turismo :p but it's tricky with the NSX-R due to understeer and or oversteer but after thousands of tries I finally got the right tune (as I posted at the end of the video) so it works well, just get in and drive but don't hit anybody or go off the track and make sure you draft at all times or you'll fall behind. It's harder then it looks as I've had people come over and say piece of cake but they failed hah.

Picture n Picture is very easy. Its only featured in iMovie 09. I had iMovie 08 and it didn't have this feature but I remember a iLife 09 disc came with my MacBook so I installed it.

Just drag any clip you have over top another one and a window will pop up and give you some options, you'll see Picture n Picture near the bottom. Pick that and you can adjust the size of the Picture n Picture.
    You can only do Picture n Picture once though. So if you want to do it more than once like I did just export the movie and then load it back in as a new video clip and do another Picture n Picture so on and so forth. If that makes any sense?

Here is a small tutorial that might help you understand.

http://movies.apple.com/media/us/ma...-20090106_r640-10cie.mov?width=640&height=400

4. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Okay, I see how now. Thanks for the tip. That could come in handy sometime.

I'm more of an Xbox guy, so I've only played Gran Turismo on occasion at a friend's house, but I admire your skill. I have dabbled with Forza a bit lately, but I think it would be far more engaging with the control setup you've got going.

5. mikeschmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I have to redesign the frame cause I can't rev-match. I keep hitting my knee when I try to heel-toe.
    I recommend getting a steering wheel setup, it makes your video game driving experience much more entertaining.

6. xStep macrumors 68000

Interesting. Thanks too for describing that setup. Very cool!

The one thing I wonder about is if the extra pedal insert was necessary. It looked better focused for some reason but the size seemed to be the same as the main video. Was the main video focus due to exporting and reimporting the video once?

7. mikeschmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know why I added the extra pedal angle. I pretty much did it just because when watching videos of pros driving on the track they have a similar setup with the camera angles.

I got Final Cut Pro along with my GoPro HD Motorsport Hero.

Here is my first FCP video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQIli3fE2Co

I think I exported it wrong as when watching it in 720 the text is pixelated