My first week with the iPhone 7 Plus (coming from 6).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Sep 24, 2016.

1. miamialley, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I love it.

I came from an iPhone 6 and have had most iPhone models with a Galaxy S4 (5" screen) thrown in.

When I first got the 7+, I was worried about the size. It was noticeably bigger (obviously), but also definitely heavier. After a week I have found it to be far more enjoyable to use than my 6, which displayed many things uncomfortably small, leading me to go to the iPad, or else "stuck" using my little phone if nothing else was available.

Positives:
    -Bigger screen means everything is more easily seen. Zoom mode improves this even more. I don't wear glasses and still have zoom mode on, using it for the first time.
    -I use my iPad far less.
    -Everything is extremely fast. Load times and switching between apps is great.
    -Force touch is great.
    -Touch ID is nearly instant.
    -Taptic feedback is amazing. It's incredibly precise and well implemented throughout the phone/apps/menus. The home button really feels like it's being pressed down...more accurately so than a real home button (as weird as that is).
    -Camera is amazing. Low light pictures are appreciably great.
    -Battery life is all day and then some.
    -Cellular speeds are much faster than my 6. I clock 100mbps regularly (southern CA).
    -No headphone jack has not been an issue at all. I may even try the airpods.
    -Water resistance.
    -Two speakers is great, but also volume seems louder when using the phone. Sometimes on the 6 I could barely hear someone on the phone with volume all the way up using the earpiece speaker.
    -Raise to wake is nice.

Negatives:
    -Wish it was lighter, but I do not notice it in my pocket any more than the 6, but more so when holding it during use, though I've gotten used to it. I don't wear baggy jeans and it goes in my pockets without issue.

2. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I have found the screen so much better then my 6s or iPad Pro that i am using the 7+ a lot more then I expected to.

3. rdavis41 macrumors regular

rdavis41

Coming from a 6s plus and now having used it for 24 hours I can say this thing is lightning fast. Interesting thing I notice is performance slows down if you activate "reduced motion" option.

I love the Taptic feedback and camera. I'm impressed.

4. macnoob00 macrumors member

I just got my 7+ and coming from the 6 I have the same feels, I'm glad to hear that it's a easy transition so excited right now. I'm using it right now to post this and I'm super excited.

5. jp1212 macrumors member

I just got my 7+ MB on Thursday, coming from a 6S. I'm so glad I went with the Plus. I was apprehensive about a Plus when i got my 6. No one I knew had one and playing for a few minutes in the store didn't convince me.

Totally agree with all of your points though. Very happy with the Plus so far.

6. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

It's buggy, the lack of a headphone jack makes everyday tasks needlessly difficult, there's a lot of noise in the low light pictures, the headphone button is sorely missed.

It's an overall terrible upgrade.

7. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

I haven't used a headphone jack in awhile so it's non-existence doesn't affect me at all. What headphone button are you referring to? If your talking about the new home button don't worry since it's not going to be on the next iPhone at all. Have yet to see a bug. Mine is perfect just like every single other iPhone I have ever bought from Apple. Lucky me.

8. noshooz macrumors member

noshooz

I came from a 6+ so this was what I consider a major upgrade since I now have 3D Touch and a better camera, and can do "live" photos. I was a bit apprehensive first as to whether or not I'd like the new home "button". But it didn't take long to win me over. The sound is amazing. I haven't had a chance to really take the camera through its paces. I don't have the issue with buzzing or hissing. Or else, since my hearing is getting bad, I'm just not noticing it.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I used my iPhone 7 Plus (and 6s Plus previously) for everything these days, so much so that I hardly use my Air 2 these days. I was considering getting a baby Pro but I don't know if it'll be worth the money.

10. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

I'm jealous that you don't care about sound quality as me. It must be nice being able to just be unaware of that sort of thing.

You think the lack of a home button is going to be less of a problem because of what the alleged design will be like next year? You're not too good at this reading comprehension thing.

And you're just a liar about the lack of bugs. But then again you probably wouldn't even be aware of them if you can't pick up on the differences in sound quality.

Ignorance is bliss.

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I read a post on the forums from a person wanting to know what to listen for to hear the alleged "hissing". I wanted to say "dude, if you can't hear it, don't worry about it" Lol
    Only here do people actually look for issues they don't even have (but secretly want so they can bitch about it). These people are nutz.

12. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I've had my 7+ for only a day and already I love it. I'm also coming from a 6 and agree with everything the OP said. I've gotten used to the home button already and honestly it feels believable like a click. When my phone first rang it scared me because the volume is so much louder than it ever was on my 6. I've actually had to set the ringer volume at half because of it. Not really a bad thing just a noticeable improvement.

13. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

You know what the hissing logically suggests when related to a smart phone? The battery is damaged and at risk of exploding. The hissing is not an aesthetic nuance to be concerned about, it's not supposed to do that.

14. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

Absolutely love this thing, coming from the 6s+, the screen alone sold me. The camera (iOS 10.1 beta 1) sold me even more! I feel as if I won't be using my dslr as much lol

[​IMG]

Wrong picture, but whatever

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Not all iPhones have the issue. If you don't hear it, you probably don't have the issue. Some people just look for trouble.

16. HEK Suspended

HEK

You must be fun at parades. Like to rain on them a lot?

Why is your experience / opinion the truth, while other person is a liar? You have an agenda, perhaps? People reporting their experience, does not make them liars. But I find it interesting how your opinions are represented as facts. As in it's not supposed to do that. Perhaps you have some experience in producing high speed chips you didn't relate to us.

17. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

I read the post and I just wanted to throw this in the mix, think of it as a gift...

In life when someone tells you something you have 3 options (although these can be rated +/- 0% to 100%):

You listen to what they say (which now days only probably 15% of us actually do) and:

Either try to be as neutral or unbiased as possible (+/-0%) and give a perfectly natural response, as to how you feel.

Or You can try desperately to understand what that person is saying and fiercely support their point and agree (100% positive).

Or You can look for flaws, errors, or other miscellany in their point making process and be a real a$$hole, (negative 100%).

I try to be as neutral as possible, or lean toward "trying to agree with their point", especially when dealing with older people, which may sound ageist but in fact it's not, I am trying to learn from someone who is older than myself, and maybe they can teach me something, that I might not have picked up yet.

With younger people I do the same as with older people because they have things in their "world" that are new and coming my way that I need to pay attention to.

Just some cents...

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Sounds like you're username fits your posts perfectly.

19. Nozuka macrumors 68000

Was going to disagree, but it's quite obvious from your posts, that you are just trying to stir things up.

20. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Lol, don't be such a clown. If you'd really care that much about sound quality, you'd not be using an iPhone at all. Also, I wonder which headphones you use so that you're able to hear the difference between the headphone jack on the 6 and the Lightning-to-3,5-adapter on the 7. And don't tell me now that it's some overpriced stuff from Bose, because then your posting gets even more ridiculous.

Ignorance is bliss, yeah. But stupidity seems to be, too, looking at that posting of yours.
    (Or you're just a troll.)

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

That so accurate. The plus is like a giant shoe you put in your pocket.

22. vajeff macrumors member

Came from a 6S and 6 prior to that. My wife always had the plus phones. Decided this time to go for the plus myself. Very Happy with it!

I was concerned about the size before getting it. We have a fourth line in our family (only three of us), and that has a Nexus 6 on it. So, I carried that phone (roughly the size of the plus) around as I normally carry my phone, and it was just fine.

Comparing the size to my 6S with the Apple Battery Case on it (have Spigen Thin Armor on the 7+), the height is not a whole lot different, it is definitely wider, but not horribly so).

Agree with all the points (good ones) made about the 7+.

23. Thandervalle macrumors newbie

What do you think about the weight of the plus ?? Is comfortable??

24. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

I agree with almost all points! Very pleased and just the size is something I need to get used to. Enjoy!

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Interesting to hear the screen is so much better than the 6s+. I was going to replace my 6s with a 6s+ tomorrow, but a better screen is worth the extra $.