My flash drive is just a huge failure... Help me out!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ademuth93, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ademuth93 macrumors regular

Minnesota: Land of the Lakes? You betcha!
    Okay, okay, okay.

I recently purchased a flash drive (brand: Dane-elec) and put some files on it. No backup. *.*

It now isn't readable by my Mac or PC and they both are unable to format the drive. I tried disc utility on my Mac and disc manager on my PC and both were unable to format the drive. No less, both computers think its capacity is 8.4 GB. Its actual capacity is just 4GB. So... hm.....

I have an additional piece of information, and it's the attached screenshot.

So I guess my overall question is: What chance do I have of getting this thing working? And if I can't get it working, would a data recovery company get the job done?

PS: I searched the forums for a tread like this and found none. Don't be a' trollin' if there IS one. Kindly redirect me.

Attached Files:

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

So I am confused: do you or do you not want the data? If you format the drive that would destroy the data so from what I can tell you don't care about the data, since you have been trying to format the drive. Working on that assumption I would not waste the time or money to repair it. I would replace it since they are cheap.

If you want the data then send it away and they may be able to get the data off. I fail to understand why if this be the case you would have the data in only one place.

Cheers

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What data? Isn't the flash drive brand new?

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I don't see the flash drive in Disk Utility, only your hard disk and optical drive. Where is it? Does it mount?

5. ademuth93 thread starter macrumors regular

To be clear, I don't REALLY want the flash drive's data, but there are a few things I wouldn't mind having. I just wish I would have shown more foresight. So.... scratch that thing about data recovery.

As for the flash drive not mounting, I had recently attempted an erasure. This apparently involves unmounting the drive and doing something or another... That's why it isn't there, and that's what the error message is about.

Thanks!

6. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Ok, so when you plug the drive in it doesn't show up in disk-utility or just not on your desktop? The screenshot is of the erase job failing correct?

Cheers

7. ademuth93 thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't show up on my desktop. It always gives me the option to initialize the drive as soon as I insert it.

Yes, the screenshot is of the drive failing to erase.