my free storage doesnt seem to add up properly..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeeM, Oct 19, 2012.

1. LeeM macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

audio movies photos apps other and free space adds up to about 180gb, any ideas why? also it says ive got barely any movies when ive a few gb of avi and mp4 files

2. simsaladimbamba

3. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

just deleted some stuff, now other is showing up as a big but underneath it says other: zero

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That 18.45EB reading is a known bug and can be fixed by reindexing Spotlight. Open the Spotlight panel in System Preferences and in the Privacy tab drag Macintosh HD into that section then back out after a few seconds. Wait for Spotlight to reindex then check the storage screen again and you should see a correct reading for Movies.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

For me, I couldn't figure out what was taking up an extra 10GB of space on my SSD. The one inventory program I tried didn't account for it. When I tried Disk Inventory it did show the 10GBs was in a private folder which I believe contains all the the Unix items. So it all adds up fine now for me. :)

6. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know theres going to be miscellaneous files, what im saying is if you add up all the numbers under the coloured bar, they all add up to more than the capacity of the drive. other, audio and movies alone add up to 140gb and its only a 128gb drive

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is because the 18.45 I mentioned is wrong. Reindex Spotlight and that will go away and the math will add up to less than 128GB.