My Friend Accidentally Erased OSX From Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EverestTF, Feb 23, 2013.

1. EverestTF macrumors newbie

Okay so I asked my friend to dual boot my imac into Linux Ubuntu because he had done it before and I've been meaning to want to have it on my computer.

But then he accidentally replaced linux with snow leopard 10.6.8! Now the only OS I have on my mac is Linux ubuntu 12.04.

I really want OSX back but it got erased and replaced with linux. I knew I could have easily reinstalled OSX via mac start up disc/osx disc but I can't seem to find it!

What can/should I do now? I found out that I absolutely hate linux and I really want back OSX.

Should I just shamelessly download an illegal version of OSX? I don't have the money right now to buy a retail copy (college tuition and books need paying)

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

Respectfully, your friend is clueless or careless or just plain sloppy. There's no such thing as erasing an OS "accidentally". There's too much involved.

Plus unless one has a very specific reason to setup a dual boot configuration, it's a complete waste of time.

Without the discs that came with your computer, there's no easy solution.

3. benwiggy, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

So, you need something that you lost. Normally when that happens, you have to buy another one. Snow Leopard disk is $19.99.

I hope you have a backup of all your files.

There's very little point in running Linux on a Mac, as you already have a full Unix to play with.

Sorry to kick a man when he's down, but there are several object lessons for you here. Without a disk, you can't install the OS.
    With later versions of OS X and hardware, a Recovery Partition is made on the disk and in Firmware.

4. EverestTF thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I do have a back up that's was made in time machine. Although its probably gone too with the deletion of my osx. My friend is going to get hurt.