My friend bypassed my screensaver passcode?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yliu, Jul 15, 2012.

1. yliu macrumors regular

I have a friend who likes to mess around with my Mac and doing pranks that is very annoying. I've set up the screensaver password protection and it seemed to solve the problem.

But just recently, he had succeeded to break into my mac somehow...
    I had put my mac into sleep before I left it, so I'm pretty sure he could have sneaked up before the screensaver started.

Any ideas how he did it and how can I prevent it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

He probably got onto your computer before the screen saver turned on, as you stated.

Log out or lock your computer before walking away.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You need a new friend;tell him to keep his hands off your mac or you will kick him out. The way to prevent it is to require password to wake, then when you leave the computer click on Apple logo -> sleep, which will put it to sleep immediately and require password to get back in. And make sure your password is not known to him.

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I have guest access turned on for my computer just so I can fast user switch over to that account to lock my computer. Just for such times.

That said, the best advice is to tell your friend to keep his hands off things that are not his and if he has an issue with that then GTFO cause you aren't friends anymore.