my friend is being really dumb

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Sep 24, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

my friend just bought an xbox online and picked it up at the store (Using a credit card, and his ID at the cashier). now he's thinking that he can get away by telling the credit card company that he never made the purchase. i tried convincing him that he'll get caught, but i cant find anything on google. can anyone plz help me out here?

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Oh he'll get caught.. Trust me, if he does it's going to be one hell of a denial or whining that it was an accident... AKA pleading mentally ill, fake memory tests, etc..

Or big fine or possible jail time.

Seriously, if it's something so small as an Xbox Gold card (8$ or so) it's not worth jail time or a fine...

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Your friend is dumb, and will get caught.

I guess he can only learn the hard way.

4. bgd macrumors regular

Shop have CCTV?

First thing the CC company will do is go back to the shop and you can bet the shop will cover themselves. Bet he had to sign for it as well.

I look forward to the 'My friend is in jail' thread in a few months.

5. shikimo macrumors 6502

Yeah...the record of the purchase is readily available to all parties--i.e. the bank, the store and the cops who will investigate--so your friend's only viable chance is to claim the card was stolen and then used. Then s/he better hope the clerk doesn't remember his/her face.

All the obvious moral reasons aside, it just ain't worth the trouble.

And even if it worked, that ain't free money: we all pay for it in higher prices, both for consumer goods and bank/credit services.

This person is part of the Problem.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

very dumb and there is a 100% chance he will get caught. not a good idea AT ALL.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just curious, but what if the claim is legitimate? For example, you paid someone to do a service for you, and that someone didn't do as promised, you can file a claim with the credit card company, right? But there is a record of you purchasing this service from the person, and the person can always claim that he/she did do the service.

How do they work that one? Send you to jail?

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

That's different. In that case you aren't claiming its fraud, that you never made the purchase. What you are doing is reversing the charges. The credit card company will investigate and let you know of the outcome. You might have to pay, you might not.

This happened at my house. We had a contracter come out and they did a errible job that cost a lot more than it should have and it didn't fix the problem. the land lord reversed the credit card charges on them. A year later, the CC company was just getting around to investigating it to see who they will side with, asking for documentation and getting statements from both parties.

If you claim you didn't make a purchase at all, the first thing they will probably do is get a sales slip with your signature on it from the store, or see where it was delivered, etc. In that case they are investigating whether the purchase was made by you (which you either did or you didn't), which is a different invesitgation than whether a service was satisfactory (which is a bit more subjective)

If you lie and get caught, you're in some pretty good trouble. Simply disagreeing about a service will not get you in trouble though, but ou might still end up having to pay.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what your friend wants to do is unethical wrong and illegal. He will get caught the paper trail is way way to strong and I do hope he gets caught. Action like his cost honest people like me more money because we have to pay for it.

Your friend should know when he get caught it will ruin his life. He will have to put on all his future applies for jobs that this is on his record (and if he doesn't he will get found out renting an apartment a lot more diffucult. His credit score will go down and it will cost him a lot more in the long run and the rest of his life.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Just curious, but how old is your friend?

It is an astonishingly dumb thing to be considering at any age!
    However, if he gets away with it, it may lead to worse things. Crime seems to be a ladder… step by step… :eek:

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

uh, why google?

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good question, but it tends to be situational.
    this is why a lot of online orders require the "security code" because it proves the card is 'in hand'.

on topic:

he'll get caught, no doubt about it.

13. bogman12 macrumors regular

Why are people so dumb? Buying something that he can't afford, and it's a stupid ass video game first of all.

If you're gonna pull a scam at least make it worthwhile, if a $400 console is worth scamming to him, then my my, what a sad existence..

14. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

After he gets caught, he will have a hard time getting a credit card and he will be under observation by the FBI fraud investigation unit.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

This is proof that there should be some minimum intelligence level that must be met before one can get a credit card :rolleyes:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This has gotta be the dumbest thing I've read here since that guy wanted to know if it was a good idea to park his car across two spots...

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if it were my friend, i'd threaten to report him myself if he continued to go through with it. help this guy out before he screws himself.

18. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

All hope for the future of humanity is lost...

Juuuuust kidding! :D This guy really needs a reality pep-talk... Or at least a swift kick in the rear. I'd like to see the outcome of this situation.

19. shikimo macrumors 6502

Good question...it's an interesting commentary on modern times.

Yeah, me too: tkepongo, let us know how this one turns out, ay?

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Anyone care to get a "My friend is in jail" pool going?

21. tkepongo thread starter macrumors regular

tkepongo

my friend is 19...yeah, a real dumbass. thanks for the posts, i'll let him see this thread and hopefully knock some sense into his head.

22. bogman12 macrumors regular

Who said that? I hope his car got keyed like none other.

23. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That would've been irain in this thread. Sadly, he hasn't posted since creating that thread, so we don't know how it turned out.

24. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

He used his credit card, verified it with ID and it probably on CCTV, and thinks he has a hope in hell of not getting caught.

Yeah, tell him he'll have a criminal record for fraud and theft, then ask him how he intends to get a job after that.

25. fotografica macrumors 68040

Your friend is a tool.He'll get caught,go to jail and be the belle of the ball...