My friend works at the apple store and......PLEASE HELP us decide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SMkdesigns, Oct 9, 2007.

1. SMkdesigns macrumors regular

So i am about to buy an iMac right! My close friend jermey s works at the apple store here in michigan! i have asked him several times which imac to get with my budget and he is not so mac genius anymore HA..he sitting right here

Here it is i can get the base imac and upgrade the ram to 2 gb or i could buy the 1399 imac with a bigger harddrive and .4 faster processor and 256 dedicated graphics card compared to the 128 on base model..

Jermey along with everyone else said my mac will run slow if i dont have 2 gigs of ram!
    ]
    Well those gb are not cheap, they cost 135$ for the upgrade to 2gb

Please people help me with this! i mean the base model will cost 1331 with the upgrade to 2gb ram 2g intel core 2 duo prossor 128 ati graphics 250 harddrive

or for 1399 i could get 1 gb of ram 2.4 intel core 2 duo 320 harddrive and 256 ati pro graphics card

I am going to use photoshop and hopefully final cut express but i will start out with just using life most likly.

and i will play counter strike souce

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Buy RAM from another source and not Apple. 1 GB of RAM for the iMac retails $40 or less elsewhere.

Get the 2.4 GHz model.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Go for the 2.4GHz 1GB model. Upgrade the RAM from somewhere else. Anywhere else. Newegg sells 4GB for $190.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Get the C2D 320 GB hard drive with the 256MB video.You will need it.

You can always buy less expensive RAM from a 3rd party vendor but you can't upgrde the video card.

5. SMkdesigns thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks bro you really think so! i should go with the 2.4.. but will it run fairly fast with nothing installed and out of the box or will it automatically run noticable slow becasue it doesnt have 2 gb.. my friend here is laughing at me becasuei am asking these questions and i cant take him seriously even if he works at the apple store.

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

2 GB of RAM isn't necessary for Tiger, but you'll definitely see the difference.

You might also want to go with an external firewire drive for your video editing instead of upgrading the internal.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1 GB is fine since you can always get more RAM later.

8. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

If longevity is important to you, then go with the beefier graphics card. Mac OS is pretty graphics-intensive and you could easily find that the lesser card doesn't support some cool graphics tweak in a future iteration of the Mac OS.

9. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

go for the .4 faster processer.

does he work at 12 oaks, woodland, or summerset? ive been to 'em all ;) Or is there one i dont know about?

10. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

If you're worried about cost and plan on running those apps, 2GB+ is going to be recommended by most people here.

However, what you will hear from almost everyone is you will save yourself a lot of money by buying ram from somewhere other than Apple.

Do with that what you will.

11. SMkdesigns thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone for such quick and more intelligent information! Macrumors more helpful then a apple empolyee i love this site

jermey w somerset apple store

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The 2.4 seems to be the machine, the other has slower cpu,slower gpu smaller harddrive, memory can allways be added later and cheaper.

13. jnash macrumors regular

I would recommend def going with the the updarged 1 gig version just because of the video card alone. I am also going to be purchasing a 24" imac as soon as this whole crap with leopard is announced. SMK I am a michigander also it looks as if you are into the design if so give me a shout I would like to start some networking within a few michigan people :)