My friend's 2006 MacBook won't boot, how to back up HD??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gherkin, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

My friend has a black 2006 MacBook. When he turns it on, he says the screen stays black, and there's 3 beeps every 5 seconds or so and it will not boot. The Apple Store says if they send it to Apple, they will need to wipe the HD to do any repairs, so he has to backup beforehand.

so what should he do now?

should he get one of those HD docking stations, take the internal MB HD out, copy it, and put it back in the MB, then send it to Apple?

2. simsaladimbamba

Does that friend have access to another Mac with Firewire?
    If so: Target Disk Mode

3. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

well he says his MacBook screen stays black and the laptop makes beeping noises when powered on.

I know of Target Disk Mode, but it sounds like his MacBook is beyond repair and that won't work.

4. simsaladimbamba

As it is a MB, getting the HDD out of it is not that hard. TDM would be simpler though and worth a try, even if no Mac is connected yet.
    And one only needs to get an external 2.5" HDD enclosure with USB connection for 10€ or so and off you go. No need for a more expensive dock.

5. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

He says he thinks when he took it to the Apple Store they hooked it up to another Mac... so I'm thinking they tried TDM already.

ok, so just buy a cheap dock from newegg I guess.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

How many beeps? Three beeps means no RAM/failed RAM.

7. simsaladimbamba

8. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. He says the Apple Store guy said bad RAM, but they put new RAM in and no luck. So they have to send it to Apple as it is most likely a more serious issue. But he must back up before sending in because Apple will wipe the drive.

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

First: it is probably a logic board issue, then.
    Second: Apple will not wipe the drive unless they find something wrong with the drive.