My friend's amazing Apple Care experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rgleason, Nov 19, 2008.

1. rgleason macrumors newbie

rgleason

So both my friend and I are students at Berklee College of Music in Boston. At the school everyone is required to have a Mac that meets certain specs when they come. The school distributes the most current model be it PowerBook or MacBook Pro depending on when your first semester is. When we started going here the last gen 15" PB was what was being distributed. I have never had any problems with mine that weren't acknowledged by Apple and cleared up immediately. As a matter of fact I just replaced the PB as #1 with my new MBP (love it) this past sunday. My friend on the other hand has had a whole handful of issues with his PB. about 5 batteries or power controllers 3 logic boards, memory slot problems issues with the computer sleeping randomly. Basically you name any problem there ever was with the PB's and he's had them twice. So he had another battery problem yesterday and got fed up and called Apple Care. He explained that he had a case number from all these other problems which they acknowledged and within 5 minutes they were taking his info down for where to ship a brand new 2.4 MBP. They said to him that they "didn't want him to look back on college and think of how apple never cleared up all the issues with his laptop." How awesome is that! After almost 4 years of good use with this PB he's now getting a brand new MBP for free. Hopefully this one will be problem free.:D After they cleared up the problems I had with my MBP in a prompt and extremely courteous manner I can yet again say I sure do love Apple Care and it is worth every penny.

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you really can't PUT a PRICE on wasted TIME.

it that makes your friend feel better...then i guess it's ok.
    but NOT for me.

3. BigD58 macrumors regular

Once again shows how great apple's customer service is.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't agree in this particular situation..
    is your friend familiar with the lemon LAW?

with all those problems you mentioned...
    They should have replaced the unit 2-3 yrs ago saince it's under apple care..

think of it in a different way..
    all those Avoidable visits to the Apple store, or shipping back and forth for repairs... all those WASTED time..
    and apple is putting a $2,000 price tag for that??

i think that's CHEAP

5. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

That all may be true, but awwwww.... talk about raining on someone's parade!

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Brilliant experience! That's why I will never hesitate to login to eBay and pay someone in another country to give me AppleCare for 70% OFF. Your friend got the full retail value of AC. My MBPro used AC to reseat the top case that was coming unattached; took 10 minutes at the Genius Bar. Glad I only paid $125!

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Thank you intrigue, part of your $125 top case reseating once helped to cover my logic board replacement :D

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Yeah, but then he wouldn't have a unibody MBP!!! Instead he'd be freaking out about the Nvidia GPU in his replacement Penryn going bad. ;)

9. rgleason thread starter macrumors newbie

rgleason

To markrivers, though I agree with you that you can't put a price on wasted time and yes I agree that Apple probably should have replaced the unit before, my friend never even suggested it. It was Apple who brought it up. He was perfectly content with the PB and the amazingly fast turnaround time on each of the repairs. After each fix the computer worked fine for many months allowing him to get his work done. And yes this does sound like he's chancing fixes on a dud to a new computer but this was his choice. Also I probably should have mentioned this before but he is very heavy into music synthesis so the PB was starting to not be able to handle what he was throwing at it with all the things he was doing the latest verisions of Logic Pro, Reason, Digital Performer and Pro Tools, so he opted to get a dual 2.8 Mac Pro as a home base studio workhorse. So even though this is specific to this case and perhaps a little bit of luck was involved at no point was any time was wasted for him.

10. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Generally, Apple's criteria for replacement is 3 failures of the same component family within a year/18 mos. (While covered by warranty.)