my friend's ipod was stolen from me

Discussion in 'iPod' started by YungJoc, Nov 22, 2007.

1. YungJoc macrumors newbie

i was in the boy's locker room the other day, i left my backpack on the bench.
    i went to take a piss, and by the time i came back, the backpack was gone.
    i got my shoes on, went to ask my friends if they stole it as a joke, they didn't, i told my teachers, they told me to file a police report.
    i saw my friend Albert in the hallway on the way to the office, and told him what happened, and we both went to file the report.
    when we were finished, he told me his dad was going to try and make me pay for the ipod. i laughed at the idea, because that would be ridiculous. i didn't steal the ipod, someone else did.
    so the next day, my friend is telling me Albert's dad is talking about pressing charges, and i asked him if he could really do that, and he said yeah.
    so now, am i going to have to pay for my friend's ipod? can anyone confirm this?
    proof would be appreciated as well, some legit website or something, cause my dad doesn't want to pay for the ipod, and i sure as hell don't have the money.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, you were the responsible party ... and due care was in your court.

Leaving a hot property like an iPod unattended in a high crime area, can be seen as negligence on your part for taking care of the borrowed property.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yes you have to pay since your the one that borrowed it from him, and now it's gone.

If he's your friend like you say he is... then he would understand the situation, so would his dad, and perhaps wait to see what comes out after the police report?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Pay for the iPod and take it as a lesson learned.

If your buddy was riding your bike, and left it unlocked and unattended on the street, and it was stolen, would you expect him to replace it?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Seconding Sun Baked, yup, as long as it was in your care, you assumed responsibility for it.

Your friend entrusted it to you, and has every legitimate expectation that you would take reasonable care of his property. Leaving a backpack in an open, unattended place is not reasonable care.

Time to cowboy up...

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

You borrowed someone else's things (he was also nice enough to let you borrow it). It is your responsibility to care for it. He has every right to make you buy him a new iPod. Don't give him a hard time about it.

...reasons like these are why I never borrow anything from anyone.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I second that one.
    Sorry dude but if he was asking you to hold it for him maybe I'd be indifferent to the situation, but you clearly said you were borrowing it.

8. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

You need to file a theft report with your local police ASAP. You are the "complainant/victim"; your friend is the "owner". You did not do anything illegal, so the police can't charge you (stupid, yes...) As far as the police are concerned, your friend loaned you something and now you are unable to return it. And the cops aren't debt collectors. Your friend could conceivably sue you in a civil court (Judge Judy -style) but he won't, as the cost of the iPod is negligible compared to the costs involved in the lawsuit. Sorry but it's time for you to be a man and admit you screwed up, and start saving to replace your friend's iPod. :apple:

9. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

Yungjoc!!!

Listen up. These guys are all crazy. Don't give 'em a cent.

Friends are way cheaper than iPods...you could get 2 or 3 friends for what it's going to cost you to replace this joker's ipod!

He's not going to press charges...he's just bluffing ya. For the cost of an iPod he's not going to bother going legal. Instead they'll likely just tell everyone you know what a scumbag you are. But, they already know that I'm sure.

Don't look back baby!

Good luck.

Kixsand

P.S. I'm kidding. I just thought it would make for a funny post to take your side on this.

Clearly, this is an opportunity for you to stand up and be a man. The true character of a man can be measured in instances such as this.

10. YungJoc thread starter macrumors newbie

11. YungJoc thread starter macrumors newbie

our school's policy states that we're not supposed to bring expensive things to our school though.
    so wouldn't he be at fault for breaking school policy?

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually shame is the best method of getting somebody to pay, they do mention inviting everyone they know to a charity party -- and making their bad debts and ability to man up, the charity.

Please help Yungjoc, pay for an iPod he lost ... he isn't man enough to do it himself.

13. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

It's your fault. There's no reason to try and make these excuses. You may lose a friend if you don't own up to your mistake.

14. pscoble macrumors 6502

NO! How does that make any sense at all? You were the one that held it when it was stolen, don't be an idiot pay for it and keep a friend (hopefully) or you'll end up paying and with out a friend. So that said..wouldn't YOU be at fault for bringing expensive stuff to school. Jesus.... EDIT: its also not school policy its a warning because kids jack stuff all the time heh.

15. YungJoc thread starter macrumors newbie

technically i didn't bring it to school, he did, then he lent it to me.

16. pscoble macrumors 6502

Ugh you people want to get out of anything. It was your fault period. Start saving and stop making excuses.

17. YungJoc thread starter macrumors newbie

don't judge me, i was quoting my father. i brought him your arguments, and he still doesn't want to pay.

so he wants them to take us to court, cause he thinks we'll win.

but i'm on your side not his, even though i'm jobless, in debt, and extremely broke, i'll find some way to pay my friend back.

good day.

18. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

Are you 10 years old?

19. YungJoc thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i'm 17. and i was merely stating the facts.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Quit rationalizing. Besides being an inane and largely unenforceable "policy," it has no bearing on any of it.

It doesn't matter where, when, or how - it was given to you for safekeeping, and it was stolen during the opportunity caused by your lack of care. It can't be any plainer than that.

If you simply own up to your friend (and his dad), and work out some means to pay him for the replacement cost, you'll feel better about yourself, your friend will likely continue to be so, and his dad might think you the more mature of the two.

21. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

Seriously now,

My issue here is more with your father than you. You are a product of his example and he is providing a very poor example for you.

Knowing how difficult that father/son relationship can be, I have empathy for the situation you are in...caught between your father's ethically slaked morals and your own point of view. Reading back through your posts I think it is obvious that you have a pretty good idea of what the right thing to do is. However, to do it you have to go against your father -- this is the big time for a 17 year old!

At some point you have to start taking responsibility for your actions. Those decisions made and actions taken will eventually define who you are.

I think that this issue might be a good place to start. Then you can work on the other issues that you've raised -- "jobless, in debt, extremely broke" -- those things are all within your control.

Good luck with everything. Maybe when your father sees the path you've chosen it will have some sort of positive impact on him as well. Don't be surprised though if he mocks you for your choice.

Time to get serious.

Darren

22. calculus Guest

calculus

If you change that to "I borrowed it from him." I think you'll find it clear where the responsibility lies ...

23. haiggy macrumors 65816

Excellent advice. Find a way to make up the money and do the right thing.

24. YungJoc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice everyone, i know what i'm gonna do now

25. Buttercookie macrumors member

I work at a PD and we get these types of reports all the time. We always take the report but rarely recover the ipod.
    Since you did not steal the iPod and it was lent to you, You can not be charged with a crime.
    But if the father decides to take you to small claims court he can sue you. I doubt that will happen because it costs almost as much to go to court as it would to just replace the ipod.
    Hopefully the dad was just mad at the time and will let this blow over. It would be a shame to lose a friend over this but you should learn a lesson about not leaving high ticket items laying around.
    And you should start saving up to replace the item you carelessy left laying around. It'd be different if you locker was broken into or something but you admit to the unresponsible action of leaving it out on a bench to be taken by whoever wanted to.