My G3 lineup.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Anonymous Freak, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

My 'lab' in my basement was looking a little fun, so I decided to get a picture.

[​IMG]

Here is the Apple product lineup as of August 1999. Finally got them all in one place. They are (clockwise from top left:) Tangerine iBook (rev a,) 300 MHz, 160 MB RAM, (stock) 3.2 GB hard drive, AirPort card, OS 9.2.2; PowerBook G3 (Lombard,) 333 MHz, 320 MB RAM, (stock) 4 GB hard drive, Lucent WaveLAN IEEE Silver card (recognized as a true-blue AirPort card,) OS 9.2.2 (running,) and 10.3.9; Power Mac G3 (Blue & White,) upgraded to 500 MHz G4, 448 MB RAM, (stock) 6 GB hard drive, PCI Radeon, OS 9.2.2 (running,) and 10.4.9; iMac (rev b,) 233 MHz, 96 MB RAM, (stock) 4 GB hard drive, OS 9.2.2 (running,) and 10.3.9.

The iMac and Power Mac are usually there, the PowerBook had been on loan to someone, and the iBook is usually in my daughter's room, but when I got the PowerBook back, I decided to get a family portrait.

For one short month, this was the entire lineup of Macs, four models. All using G3 processors. (Technically, they were on to the rev d iMac, which was available in the five fruit flavors, er, colors, but my only other iMac is a slot-load.) And, also, yes, technically, the iBook was ANNOUNCED in July of 1999, but wasn't actually available until September, by which time the G4 had been introduced. But these are the four computers that graced Apple's home page for a month back in 1999.

Yes, that's an ancient ADB Apple Extended Keyboard. I like it. And I have a blue 15" Apple Studio Display on its way, so I can at least have a blue monitor. I think I'll keep the beige keyboard though; especially since my only other 'spare' Apple USB keyboard is in wonderful 'Strawberry'. (I may swap in a blue puck mouse, though.) And, also, yes, those are AppleDesign speakers.

The extra G3 under the desk is my headless server. The non-Apple monitor visible off the left of the picture is for my PeeCee.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

All running Internet Exploder I see!:)

I'm running Panther on my Rev. C iMac, and there are times when I long for the speed of OS 9, though the features of OS X are where it's at.

3. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah. Only because of the color themes. The iMac and Power Mac are usually running OS X, and run Safari. The PowerBook I just got back, and after a reformat, it'll probably be OS X-only. The iBook is used almost exclusively by my 2.5 year old daughter for really simple OS 9 games, but when I need web access on it (for pbskids.org or nickjr.com, for example,) I generally use iCab. (While the iBook would run OS X better than the iMac, all of her games are OS 9 anyway, so I might as well just run OS 9.)

Yeah, even with only 96 MB of RAM, Panther is "usable" on the iMac. I definitely wouldn't trade in my MacBook Pro, but this iMac (before it wandered down to the lab,) was a kitchen recipe computer, which it worked perfectly well at.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

nice :) I love those clamshell ibooks

I am running my grandma's old 400mhz iMac. Just bought a BT dongle for it so I can use my Apple wireless kb/mouse and ordered 512mb of Ram for it. Should be pretty good once it's all taken care of. Amazing even with 384mb of Ram how well OSX actually runs (slows a bit but not all that bad). These G3's are still more than enough to surf the web, do emails and use MS word.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

iMac is out of place, discontinued in January of that year.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hello Mr. Niggle...:rolleyes: ;) :D

My current G3 collection consists of a Biege desktop and my Rev.C iMac - most of my Mac collection are 68k machines.

7. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

my current g3 line up includes:
    -Powerbook g3 kanga
    -Powerbook G3 Pismo
    -Powermac G3 Beige minitower
    -Powermac g3 beige desktop
    -Imac G3 233mhz

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well hey, if we're going to be starting threads about four G3 Macs, I figure I should at least make the correction.

9. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, I even mentioned it in the notes. (Along with the fact that the lineup only ever looked like this on Apple's website. By the time the iBook was released, the Power Mac G4 and slot-load iMacs had both been announced.)

(I also have a last-model slot-load 600 MHz iMac G3 and two beige G3s, one tower, one desktop.)

Or... You could pretend it's not really Bondi, but Blueberry, if it would make you happier. :p

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I have the G3 iBook Tangerine
    G3 Book ice (500mhz dual USB)
    Blue and white PowerMac G3
    and
    Pismo G3 400mhz

That's 4 for me too!

11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Here goes my list:..... let me take a breath

Wallstreet 233
    Wallstreet 292
    PDQ 300
    Ibook Indigo 366
    Ibook Graphite 466
    Ibook 600
    Ibook 700 (LB problem?)
    Ibook 800
    imac blueberry 350
    imac blueberry 400
    imac graphite 400

all are running tiger except the powerbooks and the blueberry 350
    That makes 11, and that is just my G3's. Ive got powerbooks comming out my ears.
    I really need to get a bigger place

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

I love you smurfbox setup. I find myself looking at those all the time. I would love to have one with your expansions. I doubt you will ever let it go, but if you do let me know!

13. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Ive got a non-functioning (mystery) 500MHz Indigo iMac and a 233 Wallstreet. I used to have 6 Indigo iMacs, but I sold them all off for 120 each. :D (I bought them all for 50 ea.)

G3s are more than capable machines. I recently sold a 300MHz Blueberry iBook to my uncle for 225, and he thought it was at max two years old judging by its speed compared to his PC. When I told him it was made in '99 his jaw dropped.

14. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Is it the firmware problem? I bought all 3 of mine for a little over 100. They all were messed up when someone tried to put osx on it without updating the firmware in os 9 first. It makes the screen unreadable, and if you zap the pram the monitor dies completely.

15. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Not sure, doesnt turn on anymore. When the power button is pressed it does nothing, unless held in. After about 5 seconds or so it blinks once and you hear a staticy pop from the speakers. I honestly have no idea whats wrong with it and did everything I knew of to try and fix it. I'll post a link to the video I took of it when I find it again. Its a very strange problem.

Sad, its sitting in my room right now under a few shirts :(

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Alas, the smurfbox setup is going to be utilized as the Apple TV server so that I can play all those movies and music! :D

Of course some photos too :D

17. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

So...... Do I win? I have been waiting to be the biggest archaic mac guy, at least in one category. Please someone prove me wrong!!!!!!! If you want pics check out my post in the marketplace about wanting every powerbook every made. That was before the imacs.