My G3 pismo keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

This came up on my MAC G3 Pismo (OS. OSX 10.2) lap top screen when it crashed.
    « SYSTEM FAILURE : CPU=0 CODE=OOOOOOO1 (CORRUPT STACK)
    Test Crash for CPU= 0
    Exception State (sv=0xI2045A00)
    PC= lots of letters ??? KSR= Lots more letters ??? DAR= Even more letters and numbers ect.
    Backtrace :
    Back trace terminated…… AND THEN IT CRASHED (Screen froze)
    This is all I managed to copy onto a piece of paper BEFORE IT DIED

Now it Half boots then freezes with two broad white lines across the White screen with the Apple on it, or re-boots normaly then freezes 5 to 10 minutes later.
    Anybody got any bright Ideas…..
    Is it the Hard drive, the Ram memory or the Logic board or what… ?
    I’m looking for a cheap way of repairing it…OR THROWING IT OUT.
    In between crashes I did manage to wipe my H/D and re-install again from CD…. but it still crashes. Technically speaking I could just about manage to replace the H/D or the RAM, but not the Logic board.
    One last question/ If it’s the H/D.. can I use “any” ATA 2. 5 hard drive or does it have to be specific for MAC… I’ve seen a SAMSUNG 60GB 2.5 ATA for about 40€.
    Thanks for any ideas…. David

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

that looks like memory errors, do you have other sticks that you can put in it? What about booting of your os x cd, hold down D and run the diagnostics.

Any 2.5 hdd will work as long as it's PATA. having said that, some laptops have limitations that they can only see a certain amount of hdd space.

What i am saying is some of the older laptops have issues in seeing over 120GB etc

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Pismo keeps crashing

Nope ! I tried rebooting with the CD while pressing D but I just got the APPLE and the widgit turning...and turning...and turning ect. fianlly had to crash on/OFF. thanks anyway
    David

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

How many sticks of memory do you have in it? Can you take one out and see if it boots then?

5. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Tool box..... I've never actually been inside a Mac!!!! but I'll try
    I think I have 2x128Mb memorys.
    Whats the deal with " Static" that I read everytime one goes into a Mac.
    What to do to get round it ?
    Thanks for your help David.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

You need to have a static wrist strap or touch something grounded to remove any static electricity your self - Don't touch the gold pins on the ram modules.

7. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Its dead !!!!

tool box///
    I tried taking out the top memory stick Rebotted..... it worked for about 5 minutes the Crashed again.... changed the top memry stick for the bottom one and put the whoel thing back together.... NOW its compleatly dead.... Wont even turn on.... although I followed the instructions to a teee I Must have touched something I shouldn't have.
    Any other Ideas ?
    David

8. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

tool box///
    I tried taking out the top memory stick then Rebooted..... it worked for about 5 minutes the Crashed again.... changed the top memry stick for the bottom one and put the whoel thing back together.... NOW its compleatly dead.... Wont even turn on any more.... although I followed the instructions to a teee and tried two different powersupply's.... I Must have touched something I shouldn't have.
    Any other Ideas ?
    David[]

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Put the original stick back in it, see if it turns back on. if it does seems like one of the sticks is faulty.

Do you have some spare ram that you could try in it? It's highly unlikely that both sticks have problems but nothing surprises me in the computer industry

10. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

tool box

No I dont have any spare memory sticks.....
    Untill now I've changed the TOP memory to the bottom, and the bottom to the top..... Still completly dead... do these things have fuses ????
    How could I have screwed up.
    Hopefully ....david