My G4 Laptop Keeps Turning It Self Off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ziontist, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ziontist macrumors newbie

hello to you all,

my Power-Book G4 12.1 inch titanium, keeps turning itself off even thou the battery has life and when i turn it back on the charger needs to be plug plugged in or it will not turn back on.
    also the date and time needs set every time it cuts out.
    normally i get 20 mins un plugged battery life.

do i need a new battery or charger ? i know its a old unit but i love her , i have power mac tower but i dont want to lose her.

thank you kindly for any help

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

Bad Cell

Your battery probably has a bad cell in it. Laptop Batteries are usually made with 6 or 9 separate cells. The problem is that one of your cells is dead and useless, so when the battery switches to that cell for power your computer just shuts down.

If this only happens when you're running on battery power, I can almost guarantee this is your battery. I've had the same issue with my PB 15" 1.6GHz for awhile, just been dealing with it by only using it while its plugged in.

3. ziontist thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mate i am gonna get a new battery ive already priced one up
    be well fella

4. oldcrone macrumors newbie

battery cutting out?

I had the same problem with my old PowerBook G4 battery. Just replaced it with a new one yesterday, powered it up for 10 hours, as directed.

And

everything worked ok until the battery was down to about 86% and it cut out. Just like the old (almost 9 years old!) one.

Any thoughts......

5. MacBoii56 macrumors newbie

Bad Battery or Old Battery

its either because you have a bad battery or a old battery you might wanna think to get a new battery it will help alot

6. oldcrone macrumors newbie

Bad battery

Eeeeeeeeek!!!!

But I did buy a new battery, installed it, configured it and it still cut out at about 86%. This was the same behaviour as the old battery.

Could it be the wrong kind of battery or a dud? The LED lights come on as if the thing is working.

Could the problem be whatever else is in the food chain between the battery and powering the computer.

Am trying to give my old laptop some life before donating it to a student friend who wants to try some movie editing. Replaced the battery and bought more RAM. Am worried about spending too much money chasing the problem though.......