My G4 Powebook 17" pics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrymohan, Jan 30, 2008.

1. harrymohan macrumors member

Hi guys, I told you about my purchase of G4 Powerbook from ebay at $570 and I am loving it!! though with 512 MB and 1.33 Ghz proc its performance is comparable to my macbook and display is awesome - Glossy display!!

The best part is hardly there are visible scratches and OS X 10.5.1 runs smoothly!! only bottom portion has some scratches now I am surely sending my HP AMD Vista laptop to my parents as a gift!! :D:D

Attached Files:

2. apple90 macrumors member

Nice to hear that!

That was a really sweet deal you got there on ebay. looking to buy some ibook g4 computers too myself. Well, hope you enjoy your new mac and welcome to the apple family :D

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Looks great. What are you going to do with your Macbook?

4. harrymohan thread starter macrumors member

Macbook, I am going to either going to make it dual boot using Boot camp to do some MS specific programming like C# and COM on Win XP or doing my Operating System Course work using FreeBSD 5.2 on VMware Fusion!!

I have installed Xcode 3.0 on powerbook for usual CPP programming, will try my hands on some movie editing stuff provided I increase the RAM to 2 GB!!:cool:

I would be posting more pics!! dont know iPhotos, mail are crashing on Powerbook any specific reason for that? Can I re-install using the disc I got with Macbook since Ebay vendor didnt provide any disc for it?

5. apple90 macrumors member

Sorry to hear about mail not working but using the Macbook disc MAY not work as it was preferrably assigned to the Macbook only. Since the Macbook has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, it might not work with your PowerPC powerbook.

You might want to buy recovery disks for your Powerbook. I have one in hand if you need it for free.

6. harrymohan thread starter macrumors member

Let me once try the disc that I got with Macbook if it doesnt work I will surely get back to you!! thanks a ton for this kind of help!! sincerely appreciated!!

P.S-: I have seen a lot of iBooks on ebay starting some $150 dont know they exist anymore or their config is upto your liking!!

7. apple90 macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply! No problem about the backup Powerbook recovery disks in case you need it!

I will wait to see how your Macbook recovery disks started working for you as surely I am quite interested myself on the results and outcome.

Enjoy your new Powerbook and have a great day!

With the best luck,

apple90

8. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

sweet

i always love seeing an Apple product in a darkish yellow room :D

makes them ultra elite looking notebook :)

9. apple90 macrumors member

Well in my own preference, I like the white simple effect. It makes the Mac look simple yet very complex.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Add RAM. It's cheap now.

But be aware that the 17" powerbook is quite possibly the fussiest Mac of recent times in this respect. Only buy RAM that is specified for this model. I speak from experience!

11. harrymohan thread starter macrumors member

In next 5 mins I can upgrade my RAM from 512 MB to 1 GB since my old Sony Vaio uses PC 2700 DDR 333 Mhz RAM and I can put 512 MB chip into my Powerbook.

But the problem is If I want to say max 2 GB which mean 2*1 GB sticks it could cost me in between 120-150$ since PC 2700 is expensive these days!!

Will try with 1 GB and see if it goes fine otherwise I am left with no choice but to spend!!:rolleyes:

12. apple90 macrumors member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231141

Above is the link to the ram you are referring to. It is only $54.99 so buying two for two GB would be a total cost of $109.98

Hope my searching helped Harry

With best regards,

apple90

13. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I added 512 MB of PC2700, IBM branded RAM into my 1 GHz 17" powerbook running panther. It ran fine and I later sold it to a friend and bought a 1.67 GHz 15" model. By then RAM had dropped in price and I bought from crucial in order to upgrade my new model.

Months later, my friend upgraded to tiger and the thing started running like crap with lock-ups and application quits many times per day. Coming from the windows world, she thought it was just business as usual and that Mac tales of reliability were exaggeration! Now, I'm pretty good with Macs and can normally solve issues quite quickly. I'm first port of call for most of my friends with computer issues, be they Mac, Linux or even windows, but I couldn't get that powerbook to run anything newer than panther, no matter what. Also, by then she had moved to a different city, so my opportunities for solving her problems were limited to her occasional visits.

Eventually, I found references to the 17" powerbooks RAM fussiness on Apple's support site and we swapped sticks between her powerbook and mine. That was last weekend and we tried an archive and install of leopard. It went on with no problems and is now rock solid. Also, my 1.67 GHz seems quite happy with the IBM RAM, although it doesn't get much use these days, only when I need a second laptop for a gig.

Well, that was longer than I intended but here it is in a nutshell. You should be aware that non-compliant RAM is a particular problem in the 17" models and that problems can occur months later, rather than being immediately apparent.

14. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Congratulations, that really is an unbelievably good deal. They're beautiful machines.

16. kabunaru Guest

How is it comparable to the MacBook? Your MacBook has like 3x as much RAM and a faster processor.

17. Albal macrumors member

I was going to say the same thing - my 1.67 PB runs like crap compared to a computer of macbook specs.

18. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have a 12-inch Powerbook with 1.25 GB of memory, while not a screamer, it gets some things done.

I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your Powerbook.