My G4 won't shut down? Any advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blinkie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

Hello. I have a g4 466 running Tiger 10.4.11. When I try to shut down from the desktop it seems to shut down all the way then immediately restarts itself. (I can manually shutdown by pressing the big button.) This only started a couple of days ago and I can't think what I did that day to have caused this. I understand that resetting the PRAM (?) might help but I wondering if there are any side effects to this that I should be aware of first, you know like loosing all my stuff or something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there shouldnt be any side effects from setting the PRAM, infact i would recommend it.

no idea of what your problem is though.. sorry

3. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I reset the PRAM and the problem still remains. Does anyone have any ideas?

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

You could try resetting nvram in firmware:

at startup hold down cmd-opt-O-F

type the following commands

reset-nvram
    reset-all

Your machine will restart after the reset-all command.

5. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give that a go. Thanks. Are there any dangers I should worry about with resetting nvram? firmware stuff gives me the fear.

6. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Well what do you know? (What do I know in reality) My computer fixed itself. :):confused::D

7. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Actually it only fixed it's self for a short while. I've been unable to solve this problem and until I take it to a repairer I'm turning it off by holding the power button till it shuts down. Can I ask, is this a bad thing to be doing?

8. NEAME macrumors member

NEAME

I'm no expert but, do you have your systems disk? If so, first I''d boot from sys disk and try to shut down from there. If that works, then reinstall the sys.