My G5 can play 1080p video perfectly out of nowhere

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Sep 24, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I was running on an OS X Leopard install for two years and it got to the point where I modified so many system files and etc it just started throwing kernel panics all over, so I reinstalled Leopard today to start fresh.
    I heard CorePlayer is a thing again so I figured I'd try it, and what do you know before my G5 couldn't play 1080 at all but with CorePlayer it could. But the weird thing, I wanted to compare to VLC. And out of the blue, VLC can playback 1080p video without missing a beat or any glitchy video effects. It's a dual 1.8Ghz, so it should stutter 1080p under VLC and Quicktime, like it's done so for two years. But now, it's an easy task for my G5 and I have no idea how this is even possible.

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

il say thats pretty awsome. iv personally never got to mess with a powermac g5. i plan on getting one would be sweet to have a mac pro 1,1 and a g5 right next to each other with a kvm switch but anyways thats super sweet that ur playing 1080p videos good to hear.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

.....which is why on here, I always tell people to do a clean install instead of wasting time trying to find the fault.
    1080P mp4 playback on a dual G5 should be standard. My G5 iMac does it comfortably in Coreplayer and watchable (but with dropped frames) in Mplayer.
    Glad it's now working to it's fullest ability :)

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Glad this is working! It's definitely a good idea to do a clean install every once in a while. I find that it really speeds things up.