My G5 has 1.25 gb ram, would upgrade another 512 make any difference.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Scrufff, May 2, 2010.

1. Scrufff macrumors newbie

I'm currently unemployed and on almost zero budget for computer stuff, but feel my computer needs a boost. I mainly use my computer for surfing online and watching videos but seems sluggish especially when watching videos. Due to budget constraints would upgrading just 512 make any difference at all? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Wonderl33t macrumors newbie

what kind of G5 is it? I use a dual 2.0 ghz G5 with 2.5GB RAM and the performance is pretty good. The only videos that are really choppy and unwatchable are the HD videos on youtube. This is due in part to a lack of hardware acceleration for Flash in Mac computers.

If you can get the 512MB on the cheap, I would do it.

3. Scrufff thread starter macrumors newbie

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

No, in case of video playing performance 512MB more RAM will be no difference.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If you had any open slots left, I would send you 2x 256mb sticks but it seems like you're already filled with 2x 512mb and the stock 2x 128mb. Don't really know if you want to replace the stock ones since that won't help with your video problems. Give me your address and I'll ship them to you if you want. 1GB sticks are still pretty high @ $20-35 for good quality memory.

What type of videos are you trying to watch? Online SD/HD videos? The 1.6ghz CPU is what is slowing you down more than anything.

6. Scrufff thread starter macrumors newbie

you can reach me at scrufff@sbcglobal.net and i'll give you my address. let me how much do you want for them? also where can i find 1 gig sticks for that price? i did a half ass look around the web and the cheapest i found was around $80 bucks per stick. Thx in advance for your help.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Check out Frys.com, newegg.com & macsales.com. Frys is a good place because they usually have rebates which makes them even cheaper. I've purchased from both the first two companies above and never had any issues while the 3rd will usually be more expensive but they are confirmed mac compatible.

You can use any type of DDR PC2100-PC3200. PC3200 400mhz is usually cheaper but will downclock automatically to your PC2100 266mhz G5.

8. Scrufff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Frys seems to have some good deals and i don't have to incur shipping costs! Thanks for the suggestion.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah the last time I bought DDR from there, they had it for $8 for 1gb stick after rebate! That was crazy but were sold out but I got the next best thing I think were $15? after rebate. I used to go to the one in Anaheim as that was the closest one for me but I don't know which one is closer to you so it's easier to pick it up.

10. Scrufff thread starter macrumors newbie

11. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Adding RAM only boosts performance when you are using more memory then you have.... Video usually doesn't magically fill up ram, so It most likely won't help. If your computer is slow when your running iTunes, Safari with 20 tabs, iChat and Word, but runs each program fine independently, then you need more RAM.

12. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

As others have said, more RAM will not help your video's run smoother. Thats a 100% CPU bound activity, and your CPU is pretty old.