My G5's "now you see it, now you don't" Ram

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by INeedaHelpa, Nov 11, 2008.

1. INeedaHelpa macrumors newbie

The Machine: PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz OS 10.4.11
    Machine Model: PowerMac9,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 3 GB (4G max in 4 slots)
    Bus Speed: 600 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f2

The Problem: Kernel Panic about 3 days ago...machine had run flawlessly for 5 years...original ram was 256MB (2x128 sticks in middle slots)...added 2x512 4 years ago (outer slots) for total of 1.25GB...never a problem. THEN...
    Added a new HP monitor couple weeks ago...no problem
    Pulled 2x128s and added 2G (2x1G)...recognized immediately...no problem

Connected a Logitech "mac supported" wireless mouse and a MacAlly "mac supported" webcam...Ran Ok for a bit, THEN...:(

Kernel Panic (on screen only once)...Hard restart...flashed PRam...eventually reset nvram in open firmware...all this with many hard starts/shutdowns during the troubleshooting period.

Could only get box to start with install CD...then ran Apple Hardware Test (all passed including 3G ram)...machine shows only 1G ram (the 2 512s)...froze up...restarted normally and showed 3G...froze up....restarted and showed 1G....blah, blah, blah....switched the ram around appropriately and still shows all sometimes, the 1G other times...

Can't let her sleep as she does weird stuff on waking and I have to Hard shutdown and do whatever works to get her running again....

Has anyone out there had a similar experience with a similar machine? If so, I needa you bad-a

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

3. INeedaHelpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Kwill. I'm a newbie so I hope I'm doing this right.

Thanks much for the reply. I've got 'er back up and running like she used to...here's what I did (and you were definitely "on it" 'cause it WAS the Ram).

You know I had pulled and replace the 512s and the 1Gs a couple times...the 1s in the middle two slots; 512s outside...then the 512s in the middle two and the 1s outside. No matter where I put 'em, there was a problem with the 1s showing up (and the associated freezes, hard shuts etc.) Again, now you see 'em, now you don't.

I finally gave in and restored the 5 to its usual config. 2x128s (factory) in the middle and the 512s (Soni-techs that replaced 2x128 factory) on the outside.
    :D Started up like there was never a prob! (no peripherals at first) Added the perifs one at a time with a restart and sleep session each...No prob!

I shoulda come here first, as I spent a huge amount of time troubleshooting, prammin', nvrammin' et al and ultimately it was a couple sticks of brand new but off brand Ram that the "finicky" OS couldn't get along with.

Have contacted 4ALLMemory, given them my hybrids stats, and they'll be replacing the 2x1Gs. Will let you know what happens once I get the new sticks in!

Will check out the links first. Cheers