My game plan:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VTAb182, Jun 15, 2010.

1. VTAb182 macrumors regular

If I am correct in saying that this is the first time apple/att took pre-orders on a new iphone, then the lines on the day of for people trying to get there first would be much shorter than in past years. So instead of dealing with all the pre-order business, I plan on heading down to one of the less crowded att stores near by around 4 ish and just picking one up. Seeing as it's summer for me, I think spending a few hours of my time hanging out in line would be better than a potential week or even several weeks of waiting to get one shipped. Do you think this is a sound logic?

2. eggmclovin macrumors member

eggmclovin

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you don't want the white iphone, then sure. This is not a bad idea.

4. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

I'm guessing that the bazillion people that did not wait in around-the-block lines during the 3G launch, and purchased an iPhone 3Gs after the initial launch aren't into the pre-order hype and will likely casually stroll into line at the Apple Store at their convenience. This could contribute to lines forming. The general public will likely pack the lines at lunch hour, evenings, and weekends. I think you will be safe at 7AM.

5. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

They took preorders last year too. Year before that, I am unsure. The logic you have would make sense if the servers didn't crash and apple/AT&T/BB/RS would still be able to have preorders. However, due to the fact that many people were not able to get a preorder in I am certain there will still be as many, if not more people camping for the new phone. With that being said, I suggest you invest in a sleeping bag.

6. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

They took pre-orders for 3GS, but not for the 3G (summer 2008 - the poeple whos' contracts are expiring)

7. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I may or may not have a reservation at an Apple store. I have to call and find out.

If I don't, I think my plan is to plot out a map and phone numbers of AT&T stores on the way to and from the Apple store, which is about an hour away. If the Apple store doesn't look promising, I'll call them as soon as they open and see how many phones they have and how many people are there, and just hope for the best.

I have a feeling the 16GB will be the more popular model, because of the lower price, so the fact that I'm getting a 32GB might help a bit.