My Geekbench Scores...Slightly lower than average, normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacbookPr015R, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MacbookPr015R, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

MacbookPr015R macrumors newbie

Whats up everyone, I did one of those Geekbench scores just for the fun of it, and I got the scores of 3,115 for single core, and 11,985 for the multi core.

I noticed they are slightly under the average posted bench mark scores of 3,340 for the single core and 12,656 for the multi core of my specific model. Is that normal? What can be done to improve my computer and get them up to bar with average.

Computer: Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch Retina, 2.3GHZ I7 Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB storage. 2 days old.

2. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Your score is perfectly fine. There will always be variations in scores when running benchmarks on the same hardware, its inevitable. I also believe the slight difference will not be noticeable in everyday use anyway.

3. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Those scores are well within the norm. Geekbench scores should be taken with a heavy grain of salt.

4. MacbookPr015R thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thanks to the both of you; I just asked because downloading things took longer to download than I remember than the other Macbook's...might just me though. For example took me 7 minutes to download flash player, which seems off to me. It also took me 10 minutes to dowload pages/keynote/spreedsheet app.

20 minutes for that software update of the osx, itunes, iphoto clump, etc.

5. donato Suspended

How is that relevant???

6. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Those scores are 32 bit scores. run it on 64bit and they will be much higher. the 12,656 average is the average between 32bit and 64bit scores, I am assuming.

You need to pay for the full version to run 64bit scores. If you do, you will see 3400 single and 13500 multi scores (average)

7. MacbookPr015R thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that the hardware and the geekbench score affect the download speeds, but I may be wrong. I'm not exactly knowledgeable with computers.

8. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

No. I suppose if there was a driver issue or a hardware problem with the network adapter, but these aren't something GB could indicate anyways.

Run the test at speedtest.net and post the results, just for kicks.

9. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Any download issues are almost surely related to your internet connectivity and bandwith speeds. Even the best computers are at the mercy of their internet routers and cable plans.

10. MacbookPr015R thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are my results from speedtest.net; Ping= 11 ms, Download Speed= 18.60 mbps, Upload Speed=4.77 Mbps.

So again with these speeds, took my 6 minutes to download adobe flash player, and 9 minutes for pages, keynote, and numbers.

Is this normal?

11. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

There are always variance between machines,
    I find out nowadays that a lot of users are too paranoid about their machines.

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

This x1000.

The very question the OP is asking flies in the face of mathematics and common sense. Any variable that has an average and a non-zero variance—like benchmark scores—means that some values must be above the average, and some values must be below the average. If you suddenly made all the below-average values disappear, the average itself would go up.

Because common sense.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Download speeds are going to be limited really by the server. 9 mins for all three iWork apps is pretty damned good.

18mbps is 2.25MB/s or 135MB/min.

9 minutes at the speed = ~1.2GB at max speed all the time.

Pages + Numbers + Keynote = ~1GB.

Sounds fine to me.

Your computer will also have been downloading the updates and stuff too so that will change the rate at which everything downloads.