My Genius Bar Visit :D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RyanMacm, Feb 17, 2012.

1. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

I recently received a macbok pro as a present. I was thinking about the MacBook Air actually for 2 days or so after using the MacBook Pro. I was going to exchange for MacBook Air instead. But, today I took my gift into the :apple: store, Talked to the Genius Bar about how this is my first MacBook computer and told them about my dilemma: Wavering between the MacBook Air 13"/ MacBook Pro 13".
    They went over with me each machine's pros/cons. I even tried out the MacBook Air's. Conclusion is, I am keeping my MacBook Pro. :)

Oh, in case you don't know. My MacBook Pro is the baseline model. :)

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Congratulations! Enjoy!

3. slitherjef macrumors regular

I kind of did the same thing you done. I went in to buy myself a Macbook air since I wanted to replace my slow netbook, but with the prices of the airs, I figured for about the same amount of money I can get something thats got more power and can be upgraded (to a certain extent). My first visit to the apple store was pretty good, They did not try to up sell me. They spent time with me, answering questions and my sisters question. They suggested the same thing for my sister as I did, since both of us was potential PC switchers. They recommended the Mini for her.

Anyway, I ended up going with the 13" base model MBP myself, figuring I could upgrade the ram later if I so inclined to do so.

Its a nice little machine, though the aluminum gets a bit chilly in the morning. I love the shutdown on the device, almost instant. I really dig I can shut down the MBP and power back up later right where I left off. I am seriously thinking about replacing my quad core i7 windows 7 desktop with a Mini next so I can use my monitor. Perhaps an iMac. Not sure yet.

I am testing the waters a bit with Mac and so far the water seems very inviting. The MBP I got was basically an experiment. Looks like it was a good experiment.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Congrats to both of you. To the second poster why don't you just hook up your monitor to your MBP and close the lid and you can more or less use it as a desktop. I seriously wish I didn't buy my iMac as I rarely use it and am more inclined to use my MBP hooked up to a 24" monitor in bedroom as opposed to my iMac in my home office.

5. RyanMacm thread starter macrumors member

RyanMacm

Good thing I did not get the MacBook Air machine knowing that you went from the MacBook Air to MacBook Pro instead. I was going backwards. I was thinking of even exchanging to MacBook Air is because of the thinness. So the Genius Bar and even the Assistant Manager was telling me they weren't trying to bribe me or anything to get me to change my mind or keep the same. They in fact pointed out all the areas of what is the difference between the Air and the Pro. Knowing this from you, really helps me. :) I'm glad I didn't make the change.

----------

Thank you!

----------

Thank you for the congrats from you as well. Unfortunately I do not have a monitor to hook it up. I would like to save that money up and purchase a SSD one day :)

6. slitherjef macrumors regular

I have looked into the mini display port to HDMI connector for my MBP to hook up to my TV, but I do like watching TV and playing on the computer at the same time. Yes, I could use my 22" monitor thats on my PC. I am still in the research phase.

I did type out more, but this is turning into a thread jack, so, back to the Original post :)

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you set it to extended, not mirrored, you can put the video you want to watch on the TV (your second "monitor") and do what you want on the MBP at the same time.

8. pat park macrumors 6502a

no need to shut it off. just put it to sleep. i never turn my mbp off. ever. maybe an occasional restart from installing software/os upgrades. always on. ready to go.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

im sure there are millions of threads about this on MR, but do you want to share your knowledge.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the 15" MBA [if that comes out in 2012] but I'm not sure :p